What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 21-17 - sealing steps

redrv6

Hi All
I'm about to install the steps and Step 9 on page 21-17 says 'seal opening with fuel tank sealant'. Has anyone used anything less messy to do this job? Do you need to fill the entire internal cavity or is there a way to just seal the opening at the top? I was thinking of using RTV rather than pro-seal.

Apologies if this has already been discussed at length - I tried a search but came up with no matches.

Shirley

sealant

I used bits of proseal that was left over when doing the tank anything will do as it is only to keep water out of the step tube

I used just a small squirt of expanding foam and when it was cured, just trimmed it back. I filled the round tubes of the step also.

Many have also drilled a small hole (#30 or so) on the underside at the bottom of the step to allow drainage.

The RV12 Step!

Here is something we discovered about the RV12 step. Right before OSH 2010 we had the leave the plane out in a rain shower while we were painting the inside of the hanger. The next day we removed the steps to clean them up for the big trip. My buddy was standing there messing with the removed step and next thing you know he had water all over his shoes. It seems that the step will accumulate water at the spot in the picture below.
006.jpg

I think that any steps installed before 2010 may have this same problem. I think that now Vans has you fill this area with proseal. So if you?ve had your plane out in the rain you might want to pull the step and check for water. We drilled a weep hole at the bottom to take care to take care of it.
P5140023.jpg

John
RV12 N1212K
Edit/Delete Message

Back