What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 18-02 Flaperon Actuation Brackets

Jamesey

Well Known Member
Done a forum search of the above but cannot find answer to the following:

"Make the A-1207-L Actuation Bracket from AA6-125 x 1? x 2 x 10 as shown in Figure 1"

Vans has sent AA6-125 x 1? x 2 x 8 material. Is this OK?

The last number of the part number is the length, either 10" or 8". Since only 6" is required, to make parts A-1207, There should be enough material.
Joe Gores

No...

Sounds like heresy, but Home Depot sells aluminum angle if you don't want to wait for Aircraft Spruce.

Uhh...I doubt if the aluminum angle sold at the neighborhood hardware store is suitable for use in aircraft. Architectural aluminum has half the tensile and yield strength of aircraft grade angle. It is doubtful you could even find the specifications on hardware store aluminum. I would not knowingly ride in an aircraft built with hardware store aluminum or SAE nuts and bolts either for that matter, although there are probably a lot of them out there.

Be careful.

Sounds like heresy, but Home Depot sells aluminum angle if you don't want to wait for Aircraft Spruce.

Easiest way to tell the difference. Aircraft extruded aluminum angle has a curved radius at the inside angle; hardware store aluminum has a square inside angle.

Easiest way to tell the difference. Aircraft extruded aluminum angle has a curved radius at the inside angle; hardware store aluminum has a square inside angle.

Generally true but not always.

I personally would never use any aluminum angle in aircraft unless I could verify for certain what the material was.

I understand the concerns, but depending on the application Home Depot is sometimes a good option. In the ultralight world it's fairly common.

Do it right

Maybe for a cup holder but not for anything that you need to stay airborne.

My view

I understand the concerns, but depending on the application Home Depot is sometimes a good option. In the ultralight world it's fairly common.

I wouldn't build a spar out of Home Depot, but brackets and such are fine. Like you said, make a judgement call based on an evaluation of criticality. I'm a nuclear engineer with 40 years in the industry. Not everything is safety related or we never would have been able to afford making a megawatt!

I think thats what they said at Fukushima

I think thats what they said at Fukushima :eek:

I wouldn't build a spar out of Home Depot, but brackets and such are fine. Like you said, make a judgement call based on an evaluation of criticality. I'm a nuclear engineer with 40 years in the industry. Not everything is safety related or we never would have been able to afford making a megawatt!

My wing kit in Dec 2012 came with a little bag with those brackets already fabricated I believe. It was a nice little touch. You might be able to order them now - not sure.

Now when my fuselage kit comes, we can only hope that the longerons are already bent to the proper angles!!!???

Back