What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 11-06 Final drill which 4 holes?

bertschb

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm working on page 11-06 on my RV-14 where you attach the horizontal stabilizer to the aft fuselage. The plans say "Final-Drill 1/4 [6.4 mm] the holes in the Aft Spar of the Horizontal Stabilizer and the F-01411 Bulkhead as shown in Figure 1." It shows 4 holes to be drilled.

The problem I'm having is there are SIX holes in this location. The drawing in the plans below only show the top and bottom holes, not the holes in the middle. The prior page in the plans (11-05) says to cleco the horizontal stabilizer to the aft fuselage and the diagram on that page kinda looks like the clecos go in the middle holes. I also noticed the plans call out longer AN4-10A bolts for the two bottom holes vs shorter AN4-7A for the top bolts. The bottom bolts have to go through a thicker bracket than the other holes so that makes sense.

Soooo, I think I'm to place the clecos in the middle holes, then final drill#12 the top and bottom holes. Then install the hardware then remove the clecos from the middle holes. Is this correct???

I realize there really isn't any other conclusion to arrive at but I'm just paranoid about making mistakes. I'm 99% sure I'm right but that 1%...

a- drilling holes.png

Last edited:
Thanks Steve! Your builders blog is excellent by the way. I stumbled across it a few months ago and liked the interior colors you chose so well, I ordered something very similar from Classic Aero.

Back