What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 11-02 & 03. Frustration mounting rudder and stabilator.

BigJohn

Well Known Member
Now that I am near the end of the empennage kit, I have finally found a reason to question a point of design. I just spent the most frustrating several hours mounting the rudder and stabilator. Even considering the fact that these were both trial fitted earlier in the plans, getting them to mate together today was excruciating. There is just NO room to see what you are doing, or get any reasonable sized fingers where they need to go. Then there is the problem of knocking loose those super-glued washers multiple times. It took two of us several hours before success was finally achieved.

Possibly the worst of it is that according to the plans it all has to come apart again to work on the fairings! Couldn't they have at least come up with a sequence that only requires doing this once, not twice.

It also would have been a nice touch to have suggested covering the side skins on the fuselage with heavy paper or cardboard BEFORE I scratched them up trying to install the stabilator.

So - am I doing something wrong, or missing something? How have you guys that finished the empennage kit coped with this? Any secrets?

Further thoughts

I have not trial fitted the COMPLETED tail pieces. I also thought about even painting them before final assembly. They will have to be off to paint the tailcone, well before the HS goes on at least. I believe Jim Cone said the tailcone tip will go on with the HS installed. It could be painted and I hope installed separately. I'm still holding out for ONE installation. May be wishful thinking, but, I'm going to try.

John Bender

I came up with a custom tool to hold the bolt. also while trial fitting leave the washers off. Your only looking to get the clearances right. Ill look in my tool box to see if i still have it

Toby
[email protected]

Back