What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

page 10-08 step 5 WH-P30 trim wires

tim walter

Well Known Member
I have completed the tailcone and was about to start wiring the trim motor when I noticed that the WH-P30 trim wires have brass pins on one end.
I expect that end should be at the bow not the stern, but no mention was given about the orientation in the plans (step 5 on page 10-08)

I really don't want to have to crawl inside and rerun the wires.

What I need to know is; later in the construction what happens to the other end of the trim wires? do those pins get cut off anyway? can I re-crimp new pins? or should I pull the wire and insert it the other way around.

Also, if this was critical, why was it not mentioned in the plans?
Did I miss something?

The pins get inserted into the connector behind the insturment panel so you have two choices, pull the wires out and turn around or install new pins. I did the same thing and put them in with the pins at the trim motor. Had to redo.:mad:

ok, well at least it wasn't just me !
I feel a little less stupid now ;P

but why no mention of this in the plans?
seems like something Vans should fix (the plans I mean)

me, too

I had the same question when I reached that point but I stopped, grabbed the phone, and called Van's. I know they have "Q&A" times posted but my experience was that almost always I could get someone to answer if it was past the 0800 PST time. Hitting a snag at 3 or 4 in the afternoon and having to wait untill almost noon next day to ask didn't seem like a good use of my time. They put up with a lot of questions from me and it sure helped to get 120241 flying in just less than 14 months.

Wayne N143WM

Crimping tool and pins

A crimping tool and pins (male and female) and a better quality insertion tool can be ordered from Steinair.com
The tool (SAT-004) might come in handy for future upgrades or repairs.
Joe Gores

Don't bother reversing the cable. Buy the tool. as Joe suggests and some male and female pins from Stein. The crimping tool works very well and is relatively cheap. You will need them later because it is inevitable that a pin will either break off or fall off during the avionics installation.

Thanks for all the replies.
I'm going to leave it the wrong way around and crimp new pins later.
Like you all say, I'll need the tool at some point anyway.

I still think the plans should mention it though.
I'll send an email to vans.

Pins pn wrong end

I will join the screw up group too! I did the same thing. I tied a string to the wires and pulled them out with a string tied to the other end to pull them back in the right way round. It is really very easy to do.
At the same time I drilled another hole for the wires to exit as I did not like the sharp bend they had to make to get out.
Now working on the fuse. Henry

Back