What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 09-10 Figure 1 Problem

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Well, I really did it this time. doing the final stuff on the stabilator, screwing on the brackets. All was going well, brought all bolts up to final tightening status - except for one! That bugger acted just like all the rest, no unusual resistance or action, except it would not stop tightening. I am assuming I got either a bad nutplate or a bad bolt, not sure which. Tried to remove it, no luck there either, just turns without backing out.
At this point I am assuming and hoping that the nutplate is not damaged, just the bolt threads stripped, I think some lube would be in order when initially installing these bolts. I assume I can perhaps remove the bolt without damaging the nutplate. Has anyone else had this problem and has a solution? I really don't want to make another stabilator!
fu5rv9.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Nope, that was my first guess, I can put my finger up in the hole and feel that it is not turning. There was never enough force to have sheared the rivets anyway.

It sounds like you cross threaded and stripped the nutplate. In cars what we do is put some backward force on the bolt while you unscrew it (find some way to 'pull' on it while unscrewing it, such as a puddy knife under the head) until it comes out.

After that, you'll probably have to drill out the nutplate and reinstall one. The easiest way to do that (assuming you can get to the back of it to hold one up!) is to use the tiny gold pull-rivets instead of the squeezed rivets.

I am assuming you can use reach thru the counterbalance flange hole to retreve the old nutplane and install the new nutplate. If that is the case, you can drill off or saw off the head of the bolt and the shank of the bolt will come off with the nutplate. Good Luck.

installing a nutplate in a hard to reach place

I agree with ErichKeane about pulling out the bolt while turning it. Vice-grips might work along with prying under the bolt head. Check the length of the bolt that you take out. A short bolt will cause that problem.
You could try putting some duct tape inside of the spar with the sticky side up to catch the nutplate when it falls after drilling the rivets out. See Jim Cone's hint for installing a nutplate in a hard to reach place.
Joe
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=47641

Thanks guys, I got it all fixed in fine shape. I tried driving screwdrivers under the bracket to provide reverse force, no luck there. I drilled a hole thru the head of the bolt, twisted the head off and got the bracket out of the way. I then drilled out the rivets holding the hutplate, retrieved it from inside the spar and then threaded a wire from the counterweight hole thru the nutplate hole. I cut the head off a bolt, ground it down flat, drilled a 52 hole thru that and pulled it up into position. Clecoed one side, pop riveted the other, and then finally riveted the other side. Unscrewed the "puller" bolt and was home free. I took photos of each step if anyone wants to see the process.
By the way, the threads sticking thru the nut plate were fine, so I must assume the nutplate was faulty to begin with. From now on, I am going to try a bolt in each plate with some Boelube prior to calling it installed.
10on3fq.jpg
[/IMG]

Back