What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 09-08 Figure 1

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
OK, it has been a long day, have been understanding everything well and proud of myself. Then I got to the above and my mind turned to mush. I can not figure out what the heck they are saying to do, if it is done according the the diagram, I can not see any good happening. What am I missing here?

Watch and count the holes

This is very precise drawing, all the information is in it but you have to watch very carefully: count the holes and follow the lines that show how the holes of the skin align with the holes of the hinge. If the hinge was drilled properly every thing will fall into place, if not... Houston you have a problem!

I must be reading something into the instructions. It appears Joe that you put the RIGHT hinge on the inside flap of the LEFT skin? Makes no sense yet to me. And why drill out holes with masking tape on them? Why are they any different than the rest? Are Vans just using the holes in the side opposite of where the hinge goes as a guide?
Is your photo supposed to show that there are hinge halves clecoed to the aft skin flange?
I hate it when I have to do something that I totally don't understand why I am doing it.

(((( R Main Skin. ))))

I must be reading something into the instructions. It appears Joe that you put the RIGHT hinge on the inside flap of the LEFT skin? Makes no sense yet to me. And why drill out holes with masking tape on them? Why are they any different than the rest? Are Vans just using the holes in the side opposite of where the hinge goes as a guide?
Is your photo supposed to show that there are hinge halves clecoed to the aft skin flange?
I hate it when I have to do something that I totally don't understand why I am doing it.

Step 02: Cleco the HS-1218A-L & R Aft Hinge to HS-1201- (((( R Main Skin. )))) Orient the hinges flush to the inside surface of the aft flange aligned to the hole pattern nearest to the bend of the aft flange as shown in Figure 1.

From the drawings.

The photo is the right skin upside down with the right and left hinge halves clecoed to the inside flange.
The tape on the hinges was to stop you from drilling those holes until now.

Note the drawing shows the right skin open a lot more then the photo on my web site. It is the same skin.

The left side is a mirror of the right
By using the same skin you can’t screw it up
I think.

Good Luck

Last edited:
OK, I have the photo of yours on the bench, seems to be coming along, the taped holes come out on the ribs, I guess that is the reason they want to match drill them later. Just looks like a complicated way to do a simple act.

Back