What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 08-03, step 6

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Well, found another way to screw up today. Did not pay enough attention to the instructions. Started with the notches to the eyelets, but somewhere along the line got it flipped over. The guide looks about the same, but the two sides are quite different. This page already gave me fits, see that curved guide? Looked for hours for one like that, no place in my kit. Finally got the number, it was in the small parts bags! I guess that is why they give you two hinges, figured you are going to screw one up with uneven holes. Is that other side used later somewhere or should I cut off those wrong tabs
2je5o9u.jpg

Parts cabinet and spreadsheet

Looked for hours for one like that
Yeah, me too. I spent hours looking for parts that added up to days over the whole project. When I first got my kit, I was anxious to start building and did not want to waste time organizing parts. That was a mistake. The real waste of time was looking for parts. I recommend entering every part number into a spreadsheet along with a location in drawer in a cabinet. When you want a part, enter the number into the search function and the computer will tell you where to find it. It might take a few days to enter the data, but in the long run you will save time.
As for those hinges, always cut them 1/2 inch longer than the plans call for or else the barrel will end up on the wrong end.
Joe

Is that other side used later somewhere or should I cut off those wrong tabs
2je5o9u.jpg

There is no extra hinge, if you messed up one you need to reorder it. In general VANs is pretty stingy and does not give you lots of margins for error. This is understandable for most parts but for some small consumable like electric connectors or even basic nuts there is no extra and it's a pain to pay 10 times the value of the part in shipping :mad:

Poor choice of words, I did not actually mean I got an extra one, I only meant that I can finish the AST's with the "extra" hinge, and when the replacement one comes, I will be further on down the build. Not even sure just where that "extra" hinge even goes yet.

Tales from the Dark Side!

From the dark point of view this is an example of how some things we want changed by Vans will never get changed. So next time you see a thread about how everybody wants this or that from Vans think about this example. This one page has caused just about every first time builder to make his first mistake all the way back to 2009!:mad:

Slow down and read ahead

Don
Slow down and read ahead

Take a look at my web site
The text on the left side of the photos is the same as the drawings
I typed this text in before I started the section to help me from making mistakes and I read ahead on line when I’m not at home

If you read the text and see the photo it may help.

This has helped me

Read then read and read one more time.

The speed will come later as your understanding of the way van explains things develops naturally.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, it helped me feel that I was not just getting "light in my loafers". I had read most all of that string, did not make ANY of those mistakes, but added a new one.

Don, Joe Dallas is right on about reading ahead, but almost all of us have trouble doing that to the extent we should as all are very anxious to keep on truckin to the next stage quickly. Don't feel badly as you have a lot of company.
Dick Seiders

There is no extra hinge, if you messed up one you need to reorder it. In general VANs is pretty stingy and does not give you lots of margins for error. This is understandable for most parts but for some small consumable like electric connectors or even basic nuts there is no extra and it's a pain to pay 10 times the value of the part in shipping :mad:

huh, i've gotten a bunch of extra rivets and some extra nuts and bolts...

Don, you may find yourself "questioning" if you are even reading on a high enough grade level. As you advance in the plans I think you will find that it is "assumed" that you know what to do and you will. Just remember, the technical writer is trying to tell you how to build an airplane. Take your time and it will come to you, walking away from it helped me many times. You are in the beginning of a pretty serious learning curve.

Back