What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 08-03: Hinge Halves

Tony_T

Well Known Member
Patron
Just this morning I was priding myself for not having ruined any parts yet and then I took the statement to MAKE FOUR HINGE HALVES in Figure 5 a little too literally. I cut the four hinge halves to the specified length, measured twice, cut once, and all that. Then I used the drill template, correctly noting the way to place the notched edge, to drill the #30 holes. In all four hinge halves. It did say to make four. Makes sense, you have the drill press all set up. Wrong. You only drill the two AST hinge halves.
Later, in Section 9, you turn the drill template around to drill the holes for the Stabilator hinge halves. So, I will be ordering a hinge.:eek:
Hope this post saves someone else from making the same mistake.

Tony

Last edited:
me too

Not for the same reason, but I did have to order one new hinge as I measured it twice and cut it once but somehow I marked the cut at 31-1/2" vice the called for 32-1/2".

Mistakes are made on every plane. I have a nice little pile starting to build up in the corner. :cool:

I looked at those instructions about a zillion times before making the cuts and drilling the holes! I finally figured out how those hinges were to be used by reading ahead. Now I make it a practice to read ahead and find the future use of a part if there is any question whatsoever in my mind about what they are asking me to do at any particular step. Anyway, not to worry - I think we have all ordered a replacement part or three! ;)

Hinges

I think we should start a survey on this hinge problem only to see if that part of the directions need to be changed. I to screwed up my hinge on the HS Stab. J

I made the same mistake on page 08-03

I made the same mistake. Even though I read these forums almost every day, I do not pay too much attention unless I am working on the particular parts being discussed. I should have paid more attention and made notes in the plans. Step 7 says, "Match-Drill #30 the hinge half. . ." It should say, "Match-Drill #30 ONLY the HS-1218B AST Hinge halves." I do not know why they even tell you to cut 4 hinge halves. Doing so does save about one minute of time by measuring all 4 at once. But then you end up wasting a half hour drilling holes in the wrong place and you waste money ordering new hinge. And you waste more time waiting for new parts. Maybe our postings will save others from making the same mistake. Or maybe Van's will read these postings and change the plans so they are not confusing.
Joe

Hinge instructions

The how to instructions for all the hinges used on the RV-12 lack clear instructions and many are just plain wrong, whoever writes the instructions has never cut a hinge correctly in his or her life. I have not found any of the instructions to be clear or correct. In most cases if you cut the hinge to the length they say one side will be correct and the other will be one half inch short and you get to buy more hinge. This is probably the worst area of continued misleading areas in the plans, which are generally well done.

Best regards,
Vern

Ok now I am sitting here at the office and starting to wonder if I have also not made a mistake. I did read that the drill template would be needed later so I did not drill more holes.

I thought that I would just cut and drill two halves for the ASTs and would do the other two when I got to the HS. It has just occurred to me now when reading this thread that I have taken one hinge, cut and drilled the halved and attached them to the two ASTs.

The thing is that they will not be part of the same hinge later:confused:
So I will have two halves from different hinges mating with each other. Will they fit?:(:(

regards
Reilly

Not to worry

Reilly,
Not to worry. Each half of a hinge is made the same and is interchangeable with other hinges. You will not have a problem as long as the eyelets are in the correct position.
Joe

Wanted to check with the experts on these hinges. I cut one half to the correct length making sure full eyelets at the ends as specified. I assumed and looking ahead to the stab side hinge that the other mating piece of this same hinge gets cut to the same length. It has full eyelets at each end but they are not at the end of the unit but offset by the other sides eyelet - I assume this is correct as this is normal for a hinge. Just wanted to be sure since the plans have the full eye statement at the ends underlined in the plans. Thanks to your previous posts I am clear on the drilling of the holes! I did find the drill template to be very soft causing the guide holes to enlarge with use. Used one for each AST hinge.

Did some additional studying of the plans and determined that I indeed have screwed up the hinge piece that goes on the stabilator as it should be made identical to the AST hinge pieces as far as length and having full eyes at the end of the hinge. Holes are different based on the drill template. Hinge appears to be offset one notch to allow hinges to mate with the same exact configuration..........ordered a new hinge from Van's. I had only cut one of the remaining two pieces

If you separate the hinges and measure the length to a whole hinge - you can tell right away if you have measured from the wrong side. I prepped mine all at the same time and the whole hinge measured out either from the left or right. I think the key is to measure to the whole hinge piece from the correct side

Also, as an fyi, I noticed when installing the AST's to the HS using the hinges is a tight fit, but they worked out fine and it is a very close tolerance in the center where the two ASTs join up together for the actuator.

Back