What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 06-03 Question

newamiga

Well Known Member
Ok this may be seemingly silly but looking at the instructions and then watching the Homebuilt Help DVD, it appears that after separating part VS-1212-R into the two pieces, they want you to angle down from some point on that longer piece to one end. It may just be that I have a newer kit but my 1212R is already trimmed down an angle from about 60% down the piece tapering to one end. The 1212-L piece is the same way. I am wondering did the rest of you get the parts already tapered? Am I missing that I should be cutting this angle further up the part? The directions in that section are not entirely clear.

Thanks Carl

Yep, you are supposed to trim it down to nothing. I did not know how much to taper it, and forgot and put it together with no further trimming. I got permission to leave it as it came from Vans, since that was a deviation from the plans. All it does is lighten the plane a little bit, no big deal. Would have been a heckuva batch of rivets to drill out to change it.
Really quick and simple trim job with a bandsaw.

Last edited:
Back