What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Packing Crates

Topturn

Just wondering if the wooden crates that the kits come in need to be stored flat or can you stand them upright as my wings and fuselage arrived today and after checking the contents next week I'm considering storing the fuselage outside until needed fully weather proofed unless it can be stored upright as space is tight in my garage?

I believe they need to be stored flat. They have arrows on them pointing down, so I assume it is tell the shipper to lay them flat.

Crates

Jason, for the wing crate, I removed all the ribs etc, then put some wooden spars across the inside of the box to keep the large skins pressed aginst the floor of the crate. I then put it upright, with no problem.

I also opened the fuselage crate and stored all the components and destroyed the crate. It was probably a bit hasty getting rid of the wood, but I didn't have space to store crates either. I got a bunch of plastic boxes from B&Q to store the various kits of parts.

It really helps if you devise a scheme for filing and retrieving stuff.

Cheers...Keith

Cheers Guys thanks for the advice again I'm going to tackle this task next week when my Dad comes up to help check the crate contents. I have a feeling I'll have a spare room full of parts but next weekend by hey that's what spare rooms are for....... Good job I live on my own!!

Back