What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Packaging Error

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
You have to go a long ways to find an error in the packaging from Vans, but after months of trying, I found one. For you who have not gone to the aileron tubes, you might look ahead to bag 2757. In it are supposed to be 25 MSP-42 rivets, but they are not there. There are 25 rivets of a size not listed on the bag, but none of the MSP-42 jobs. You may want to look at that bag and be ahead of the game by ordering some, it takes 16 on the push tubes alone, they are a fairly short reach rivet, there are drawings of it in the front of the plans.

Don,
There are 3 types of rivets in that particular bag. You can use the Blind Rivet Identification Chart in Section 5 of the Construction Manual to differentiate them.

BAG 2757 - MSP-42/CS4-4/AK-42H

25.000 - RIVET MSP-42 POP RIVET
15.000 - RIVET CS4-4 POP RIVET
25.000 - RIVET AK-42H CSK RIVET CLOSED END

That is how I discovered the error. I was familiar with the other two types of rivets at this stage of the build, but could not understand why they would use a long reach rivet like was in the package. In comparing with the chart, it was immediately obvious that I got a pack with the wrong rivets included. I had an order working at Vans, they are shipping me 25 of the MSP-42 rivets.
What got my attention was that ALL of the included rivets were countersink style, yet you do not countersink the push rods.

Back