What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

P-MAG wiring PIREP (warning)

jclark

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I noticed in the last 2-3 flights, while taxiing back to the hangar, I would get "RPM TOO HIGH" type notification.

Hmmmmmm ...

So while I had the cowl off for something else, I made the rounds checking to make sure everything was right and tight.
Tugged a little on the RED wire of my Right P-Mag and it came right out from the connection point!!

Aha!

All other wires were tight so I must assume that I did not tighten this one enough so I:
1. Put it back in
2. Tighten the little screw nice and tight this time.

All now seems to be well.

CHECK THOSE P-MAG CONNECTIONS from time to time. Just in case.

p.s. FYI. At NO TIME did I notice any difference in how the engine ran.

After reading a similar thread a few years ago, I bought a ferrule kit on Amazon. I have installed ferrules on several P-Mag harnesses since with great success (meaning no more failures, knock on wood).

I’d hyper link the thread and the Amazon item, but can’t seem to do that on my iPad just now. Probably operator error. EDIT: halfway there, got the thread hyperlink, here’s the Amazon item: https://www.amazon.com/Ferrule-Crimping-Tool-Kit-0-08-10mm²/dp/B07PJK2VNT

Last edited:
+1 on the ferrule kit. It was part of my check when the cowl was off to tighten the wire screws. Then I put the ferrules on and they have been rock tight ever since.

I noticed in the last 2-3 flights, while taxiing back to the hangar, I would get "RPM TOO HIGH" type notification.

Hmmmmmm ...

So while I had the cowl off for something else, I made the rounds checking to make sure everything was right and tight.
Tugged a little on the RED wire of my Right P-Mag and it came right out from the connection point!!

Aha!

All other wires were tight so I must assume that I did not tighten this one enough so I:
1. Put it back in
2. Tighten the little screw nice and tight this time.

All now seems to be well.

CHECK THOSE P-MAG CONNECTIONS from time to time. Just in case.

p.s. FYI. At NO TIME did I notice any difference in how the engine ran.
How many hours?

On that one, somewhere between 200 and 300 hours.

Again, ALL of the others were tight!
So I assume "operator error" on this one.

Back