What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

P-MAG revisited

Captain Avgas

Well Known Member
I am at the crossroads...I have to make a decision on my ignition system now. I truly like the concept behind the P-Mags and I have been following their progress very closely from the very start. I think I've read everything there is to read so far.

I know that many early adopters had problems, some minor, some more serious.

Some people say they have never had a problem and I know that some have given up on their P-Mags and sent them back to the factory for good (and have received their money back).

What I would now like to know is whether anyone who has purchased a unit in the last 6 months (and is actually flying) has experienced ANY problems.

I know that RV builders can be defensive about their equipment choices so we need some objective honesty here. I'm quite sure there are many builders like me who would like to know if ALL the wrinkles have now been ironed out of the P-Mag product....or not.

It's time for an update on the later P-Mag models.

Mine are a year old (e-mag/p-mag) and are some of the early ones that are supposedly out of the group considered to be the "final" design. They went back twice for firmware changes (which now does not need to be done because the software allows for doing your own firmware changes). Otherwise I had a sensor problem on the e-mag once, which they promptly fixed. Caused for a bad running engine for about 5-10 seconds until I shut that side down. All and all I am happy with mine.

Scott
RV-9A - N598SD Flying - ~90 hours

Latest units

I had one of the early sets (one Emag one Pmag). These were a little more cumbersome to time but still easy. The only anomoly I had was the Pmag would drop 90-110 rpm on a mag check while the Emag held solid. It was this way from day one. Performance otherwise was perfect.

At my 1st Condition Inspection, I pulled them off and sent them in for updates. I also upgraded the Emag to a Pmag (no reason, Brad just traded me out). The new ones have the blow tube timing. I had everything wired in about an hour and installed. It took longer to get the units fastened down than it did to wire and time them.

The engine starts quickly and runs extremely smooth. I could not be happier.

I have no clue why some have had trouble with them. I would suspect potential wiring or other install problems. I would use them again and highly recommend the company for the product and their after purchase support.

My E/Pmags are of fairly recent vintage, received them last July.

I started with an Emag and Pmag combination; the original Pmag has been flawless from the start, but the Emag was a lemon. It was an intermittent problem and tough to diagnose since it checked okay on the bench and when mounted on the engine (not running), but when the engine started, the Emag wouldn't fire, or would fire intermittently. A vibration problem perhaps?

Brad replaced the E with a new Pmag and all is well; I have 43 hrs total with 30 hrs on the replacement Pmag and they're both running great! Fast starts even on chilly mornings and it runs smoooooth. The initial Emag trouble was pretty frustrating, but Brad and Tom took care of it.

I'm happy with my Pmags!

Mine work Great

I have an E-mag and a P mag on my RV-9A and have 55 trouble free hours now. Upgraded to lastest firmware just before 1st flight in October.

Both units drop 50rpm on mag check and they allow my O-320 to run really well LOP. Brad and Tom at E-mag have been great to work with. I would use them again - no question.

Pmag Update

Just a quick update - just turned 800 hours on the emag-pmag combo. Still humming along - great starts and LOP ops.

New auto plugs every annual.

Started running a new P-mag on the right side with the original impule mag on the left around 2/12/2011....auto plugs on the P-mag.

So far this thing has worked out 100% as advertised. No issues at all. Easy install and setup.

Fingers crossed and knock on wood that it stays that way.

On the way to Tuscaloosa from East Tennessee Saturday my buddy and I were flying loose formation. He has a 6A with a FP and O-360 fuel injected. I have a 7 with a FP and a carb. During cruise I was burning .5 GPH less than he was. We lean about the same way ROP (He wants to flow balance his injectors). He has regular mags. Not sure if the P-mag is the reason for less fuel burn but I suspect it was.

Last edited:
Started with the 113 series p-Mags several years ago and went through numerous issues and lots of shipping back and forth, but the last time was was about two years ago when Brad sent me replacment units that were described as being 114-series electronics in a 113-series case. Since then, my only problem has been an occasional kickback during starting. This turned out to be associated with my lightweight Whirwind prop (see helpful hints/troubleshooting guide on the web page). Changed the timing by a few degrees and all is well now and I dont notice any difference in fuel burn due to the slight timing change. Im happy.

erich

more wingspan, no nose gear

On the way to Tuscaloosa from East Tennessee Saturday my buddy and I were flying loose formation. He has a 6A with a FP and O-360 fuel injected. I have a 7 with a FP and a carb. During cruise I was burning .5 GPH less than he was. We lean about the same way ROP (He wants to flow balance his injectors). He has regular mags. Not sure if the P-mag is the reason for less fuel burn but I suspect it was.

Far more likely that the almost 2 feet of extra wingspan, and the absence of a nose gear strut make the difference in fuel burn at the same speed.

Far more likely that the almost 2 feet of extra wingspan, and the absence of a nose gear strut make the difference in fuel burn at the same speed.

You may be correct but my craft is quite draggy with no paint and lots of rough glass. His is clean and slick. Prior to the change to a Pmag ours burnt about the same.

Forgot to mention for the original poster that my plane now starts like a car cold or hot.....

Back