What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oxygen System Maintenance

RV6_flyer

Well Known Member
Benefactor
Posted to the SoCAL-rvlist Yahoo Group 9-9-2008

I know many of us have Oxygen systems in our RV. I am not going into the advantages of flying with Oxygen but report on maintenance issues that I have had after 10-years of use.

I had a full tank of Oxygen (2,015 psi on the gauge) when I departed California for AirVenture 2008. I did not use any Oxygen on my way to Oshkosh so had a full tank when I departed for home. I spend the night in Canadian Texas. Departing Canadian, TX before sunrise, I climbed to 14,500 on my trip west bound. Weathermeister.com was reporting the least headwinds with the best economy at that altitude.

I connected the cannulas to the tank and turned the tank on. No flow on the flow meter. I opened the needle valve only to still see no flow. I plugged the cannula into the other quick connect on the regulator only to find the same no flow condition. Looking at the gauge on the tank, I had full 2,015 psi pressure. Turning the flow meter upside down, the flow indication ball remained on the base of the flow meter. BLOWING as hard as I could into the end of the cannula hose, I could not get the flow indicating ball to move. Tapping the base of the flow indicator up against the stainless steel windshield support bar, I chipped the paint off of it but the ball became clear. I plugged the cannula hose back into the tank and turned the Oxygen on again. NO FLOW indication. I repeated the disconnect and pounding on the windshield support and the ball freed itself again. Reconnect, still no flow.

I stow the cannula and get out the co-pilot cannula only to find the same sticking flow indication ball. I tap it as above. Move paint is chipped off but the ball becomes free. I carefully keep the ball off the BASE of the flow indicator and plug the hose into the regulator. Turning the Oxygen on and turning the flow indicator upright, I now have flow registered. I continue the flight on to Saint Johns for fuel.

Arrived home at Cable Airport, I removed the Oxygen tank from the airplane as I knew I need a Hydrostatic test as the last hydrostatic was done 5-years at the end of the month. Pressure on the pressure gauge indicated 0. The amount of time that I had used the tank, I was expecting to still have ? a tank of 1,000 psi. Will need to investigate this after the hydrostatic test. The tank needed to be empty for the test anyway.

DOT (Department of Transportation) requires that Aluminum Oxygen tanks be hydrostatic tested every 5-years. You will not be able to get your tank refilled if you do not have the test done. I just had my tank done by the local scuba shop for $28 late August 2008. This was the 2nd time that the tank has been hydrostatic tested. I found the pressure gauge loose when I picked it up. Once back in my shop, I added Teflon tape to the pressure gauge threads and installed the gauge. Since I have the capability to refill my on Oxygen in my hangar, I refilled the tank. My fill tank is ready to be refilled so only was able to charge the aircraft tank to 1,100 psi. Installing the regulator after the fill, I turned the tank on. I can now hear a hissing sound. There is a leak. Plugging on cannula in, I still hear the leak but now less. Plugging the 2nd cannula in, the hissing goes way. Removing both cannula hoses from the regulator, I now have a hissing sound. Water is sprayed on the regulator and sure enough, BOTH quick connects are leaking.

The Oxygen system I use is marketed by Aerox. The cannulas are about 6-years old and are the style that has the needle valve at the flow indicator. The original had needle valve and the quick connect fitting at the tank regulator. The needle valve attached to the flow indicator is one piece so it is about 6-years old.

I have removed the quick connects from the regulator but not taken them apart for investigation. New Aerox 203 Socket w/1/8? NPT fitting sells for $16 each according to their web site. Flow indicators are $19.50 each but cannot find the kind that I have with the needle valve on the flow indicator on the web site.

Lesson learned:
Always TEST the Oxygen System before placing it in the airplane.

Next step:
Do I try to repair the parts that I have, buy new parts to replace the bad ones, upgrade to a Mountain High Pulse Demand System, or replace the complete setup for a new Mountain High Pulse Demand System?

RV-6, ?My Sanity? N157GS
O-320 Hartzell 2,159.9 hobbs hours
A&P, DARF function code 46

Do I try to repair the parts that I have, buy new parts to replace the bad ones, upgrade to a Mountain High Pulse Demand System, or replace the complete setup for a new Mountain High Pulse Demand System?

Hi Gary,

Wouldn't presume to tell you what to do, but I have been very happy with the Mountain High Pulse Demand system for the last 1.5 years. A tank full lasts a long time and it has never given me any problem.

Duane

It is still around....

....I have removed the quick connects from the regulator but not taken them apart for investigation. New Aerox 203 Socket w/1/8? NPT fitting sells for $16 each according to their web site. Flow indicators are $19.50 each but cannot find the kind that I have with the needle valve on the flow indicator on the web site.

Gary.... Wings and Wheels advertises the Aerox flowmeter with needle valve for $54 on their web site -

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page35.htm

I like the Nelson one better, but they sold out to NELSON OXYGEN-PRECISE FLIGHT and only deal directly -

http://preciseflight.com/products/oxygen/accessories

Back