What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Overhead gelcoat

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Not trying to give anyone a hard rap, just thought I would try and avert some headaches. Our overhead console has numerous air bubbles in the layup which is no big deal as the console is not part of any structure. Because of the visible bubbles on the inside (bag side) I went looking for air pockets on the tool side hidden under the gelcoat. As I suspected I found numerous air pockets. My method was simply slide a round object ( I used a long socket) with a fair amount of downward presure across the corner radius. The presure will break the gelcoat when the glass is not directly under it. If it were left like it was , a thump or a passenger rubbing up agains the console could break the gelcoat leaving a hole in your paint job. We may install a headliner but this way we are still open for options. Even later when refurbishing this will make for more options. At the stage I'm at (installing the console with cabin top inverted on work table) it's no big deal.
Ron

Back