What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Overhead console headroom/height?

digidocs

Well Known Member
Hey RV-10ers,

How thick is your overhead console in the rear seat area? Does it give you any headroom concerns?

Have some tall friends and trying to figure out what to do about the console.

Thanks,
David

Mine's pretty deep, I'd say on the order of 2" but it's not an issue. I"m 6' and have sat back there plenty and don't notice it and I have overhead lights over each seat. In any event, the console runs down the center line so no part of the console actually encroaches into the "headroom" area of the cabin top.

This is a poor image but maybe you can see what I'm talking about.

FP21122012A0002I.jpg

That console should go over the shoulders of the occupants, not the head. You should have no concerns.

Like Jesse mentioned, it's centered over the tunnel and not an issue with head clearance for both the front and rear seats.

I agree with the back seat discussion, but not for the front.

I had an issue in front when I lean over to reach for my intercom/radio that is on the right side of the panel. My headset would hit the vent. The problem is me, I am 6' 4" with a very long upper body. I have trouble in some cars and even with a very thin cushion, would hit my -6A canopy in hard bumps until the "Almost A -14" mod went in.

In the -10, I lowered the pilots seat by cutting the cushion down 1" and had a new bottom corner made. Still is close.

Thanks for all of the great feedback so far!

I made a foam mockup to get a better idea of what this will look like. The mockup is 2.25" thick and 9" wide in the rear area. Maybe it's just me but it looks huge, especially the thickness!

Quick sketch below: Does having something hang down near your head feel strange? (dotted line dimension)

photo_zpsz1x8edzc.jpg

Thanks,
David

I would give Geoff or Zac a call at Aerosport Products to get either more precise dimensions or a customer reference that may be close by so you can see it first hand.

I don't believe it's 2.25" tall until the baggage area, but I could be mistaken.

I'm 6'2" and it hasn't been an issue for either myself or any of my passengers. If you're taller, you may also want to talk with Geoff about custom seating options.

Back