What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Overhauling a differential compression tester?

bruceh

Well Known Member
I have a really old compression tester that seems to need an overhaul. The pressure adjuster no longer adjusts.

Has anyone overhauled these? Is it rebuildable with some fresh O-rings or some generally available standard parts?

A google search has come up blank on overhaul instructions and/or kits. A new one from ATS is $140!

The tester is nothing but an orifice made to a certain spec. TWO accurate gauges and the regulator are what I think are the most expensive parts. Any regulator should work. Typically the one supplied with the unit is small and that may be your hardest part to find a replacement for. IF the one you have does not work, I would think that it is worth taking it apart to see if you can find parts to fix it. O-Rings are pretty standard but a diaphragm may be difficult to source.

The tester is nothing but an orifice made to a certain spec. TWO accurate gauges and the regulator are what I think are the most expensive parts. Any regulator should work. Typically the one supplied with the unit is small and that may be your hardest part to find a replacement for. IF the one you have does not work, I would think that it is worth taking it apart to see if you can find parts to fix it. O-Rings are pretty standard but a diaphragm may be difficult to source.
I agree; any regulator will work, Harbor freight has a good selection of small regulators of conveinent sizes. Replaceing the regulator is likely the least hassel and expense.

Just following up. I took apart the regulator, lubricated the 2 O-rings, and put it back together. Now the pressure adjuster works smoothly. Everything inside the regulator looked in great shape for being 30+ years old.

I pressurized my compressor, hooked it up and found that the gauge for the input pressure was way off at 80 psi (and all other values). I popped off the clear plastic cover for this gauge and found that the needle on the indicator was very sluggish and unresponsive. Looks like a new pressure gauge is needed and it will be back in service.

IMG_7071-M.jpg

Disconnected from the compressor and it is indicating 12 psi.

IMG_7072-M.jpg

Regulator disassembled.
IMG_7075-M.jpg

Compressor at 80 psi, and 3 of 4 gauges also showing 80 psi.
IMG_7076-M.jpg

Plastic cover off of the left gauge and moving the needle by hand shows that the gauge has probably failed.

Looks like replacement gauges are about $10.

From the ATS website - an alternative that includes calibrations, and can be purchased separately from initial buy ( at least in the past)

5-Year Calibration Warranty entitles you to receive 5 annual calibrations of our 2E and 2EM Differential Pressure Testers at an effective cost of only $13.99 per calibration! Calibration warranty also covers replacement of defective components discovered during calibration.

Back