What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

overhaul shop question in California

I used to work at Howard Aviation a couple hundred yards away from them from 2003 to 2008. Apparently Mr. Howard used to recommend them to our customers until they had a batch of engines that had oil leaking issues. There after they were known as PerformanceLeak at our shop:p.

Mr. Howard since then has recommended Tim's Aircraft Engines (in Long Beach), and with no issues. Unfortunately I dont have any recent experience with Performance to know if the issues have been resolved.

Aaron Boulais

Tims

I too would recommend Tim's in long beach. No experience with performance but great experience with Tims
Good luck

I was based on the same field as PAE (POC) for 30+ years and have used two of Ron's engines with no issues. Almost all of the Berkuts built (small universe though) have PAE engines, but many Longs, Cozy's and Lancairs use Ron too. Lancair guys have their brand new, in the crate Conti 550's sent from Mobile to PAE for modification. Now that Mattituck is Tango Uniform I'll have Ron build my RV-14 engine and keep the EZ engine healthy.

Smart guy, and does immaculate work.

EDIT: I know some people who may have had a more recent experience with Monson's shop; I'll query them and advise.

Last edited:
Ron @ performance engines

Ron does good work and can build you a high performance motor. But you better expect long wait time and missed completion dates.
Have good experience with Ben at Corona aicraft engines in Corona. Check out reviews on web.

+1 for Ben

...Have good experience with Ben at Corona aircraft engines in Corona. Check out reviews on web.

Ben's a great guy, and does very good work.

And it's a very easy walk from transient parking.

And the airport restaurant is pretty good...

Back