What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Outer aileron hinge bracket.

llarkin

HELP HELP.....After taking my wings down out of their jigs last weekend, I discovered that I put 2 3/16 holes in each outboard rib where the rivets need to go for the aileron hinge brackets on the outside of the outboard rib. (These holes were for the AN3 bolts that held the angle aluminum/outer rib to the jig). Only one rivet hole will over lap a 3/16 hole. A few of the other rivet holes will just be less than minimum edge distance (1/4") from the other 3/16 holes. I am wondering if I could just run some sort of backing plate on the inside of the rib and put the rivets through the aileron bracket, rib then backing plate and sandwich the rib.

Thanks in advance,
Larry in Colorado
Slo-Build 7

Last edited:
What ever you choose to do, I would run it by Van's first.

My fix would be to add a thick plate inside the wing that was tall enough so that you can rivet it to the line of holes through rib/bracket/plate, and also a second line of holes through just the rib and plate below the bracket. That would distribute the load to a larger portion of the rib since some of the original holes are questionable at best.

Fill the holes! What?

Can you just put a 3/16 hi-lock Thru the bracket and the rib?

Or 3/16" rivets.

Then put 1/8" rivets between. the 3/16 holes.

Or make a new flat piece without rivet holes in place of the outboard flat part of the bracket and then put the holes wherever you want within reason.

As long as you have the load spread out and equal or better shear strength a slight deviation in pattern should not compromise your integrity.

Back