What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Outboard Spar Support Height on Wing Jig?

txnbuilder

I spent the last few days building the wing jigs in my garage. I am almost done except for the aluminum angle that will hold the outboard side of the spar.

From looking at the plans, it seems like the outboard support is installed a bit lower than the inboard support, since the spar will be attached with a small piece of angle bolted to the outboard rib.

Is there some easy way to determine this height (or make it adjustable?) without actually having to juggle with the spar while trying to get the angle clamped and drilled? (no, I haven't *really* considered this!)

Right now I'm thinking about leaving both supports at the same height, and then using wood shims on the inboard side to make the spar level. Before I start drilling my nice wing jig, I figured I'd come here and ask for better ideas.

... I'm thinking I'm overcomplicating this, since I have found lots of pictures and comments about actually building the jig, but nothing on the height of these supports. :confused:

Thank you!

Luis Orozco
Austin, TX

Luis,

The support angles should be the same height. I am 6'4" so mine are about 5'10" off the floor. Don't get it too low or your back will be killing you. As for the angle that goes on the end of the wing there is a tooling hole that I used and just drilled 1 more hole in that and then shimmed it with a piece of .020 to get it level. You can check out my sight if it will help you. You are on the right track though.

Good luck and start pounding the rivets. :D

Back