What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Out of round tires

woodsideraff

Well Known Member
While trying to balance the tires on my -8A, I notice considerable wobble when I spin the tire. I will therefore repalce it.

I suspect the tires get out of round by sitting on the same spot. Are there any types of makes that are superior in maintaining their shape? 4-ply vs 6-ply ratings? Any suggestions?

Thanks and regards

Most of the time if they get out of round from sitting awhile they will go back to round if you use them and get them warmed up a bit. Our truck tires and farm tractor tires do this a lot of the time in cold weather. just mtcw

While trying to balance the tires on my -8A, I notice considerable wobble when I spin the tire. I will therefore repalce it.

I suspect the tires get out of round by sitting on the same spot. Are there any types of makes that are superior in maintaining their shape? 4-ply vs 6-ply ratings? Any suggestions?

Thanks and regards

Save your money. Tires get out of round just sitting on the same spot. This can be avoided somewhat by moving the airplane slightly once in a while. The familiar thump-thump on first taxi will go away by the end of the day with most flights.

I spent a lot of effort trying to balance 5" tires on a previous airplane, even bought a balancer which has been donated to our local EAA Chapter, and found it a waste of time. Best thing you can do is get the red dot on the tube in the right place relative to the tire, or is it the red dot on the tire. I have not done that since the last change and can not remember exactly how to do it, but that info is available here or from Desser.

Back