What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Out of paint shop!

Scott Will

Well Known Member
Wanted to share my airplane now that it's finally out of the paint shop! Many thanks to Kahuna and Alan for shuttling me back and forth to KTCL. Can't wait to get some air-to-air shots.

img_2959.jpg

img_2962.jpg

img_2954.jpg

Looks nice Scott!!

Hope you can make it to "practice" with us some time.

James
(Palmetto Flight)

Nice Job!

Good looking plane, Scott!

...makes me want to work even harder to get mine done.

what type paint?

Scott:

What is the red paint? I'm planning a very similar design with candy apple red on top and tail with a creamy tan on the bottom.

What are the colors or your interior and upholstery? Do you have a pic of the inside?

Jekyll

More specs

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

It was painted by Bobby Potts of Tuscaloosa Interiors (KTCL). Interiors you say? Bobby is a super guy, extremely laid back. He has been painting aircraft since 1972. He told me that he has put the interior business on the back burner because there's been quite a market for painting in recent years, especially RV's and Rockets.

Will post the color codes here once I get them! They are PPG colors and the silver I know is definitely SILVER FROST. However the email I sent to Bobby with the color codes got mysteriously displaced on the way home from KTCL. Will try to dig that up.

Sidenote: I actually gave Bobby two options for paint colors and let him determine which would be easier to apply or cheaper. Some of the colors I remember are Light Toreador Metallic (Red) and Ion Blue. But I'm not sure if they actually ended up on the plane. Let me stop by the auto paint store and see if I can nail down the colors exactly.

Had I known he did interiors I might have gone to him. But my simple interior has Oregon Aero seats covered by Abby at Flightline Interiors. I hope to upgrade the interior soon with carpet on the front floorboards and possibly the baggage area. I've seen the carpet from Classic Aero and it looks really nice with that 3/4" foam backing. My interior paint is Dupont Nason... can get that color code if you like as well.

So here are some shots of the inside:
img_0827.jpg

img_2963.jpg

Last edited:
Fish fry time

Very nice Scott. EAA 172 just south of Augusta (Pea Patch 122.7) is having a meeting/ catfish fry Saturday March 10th. Good trip for you....arrive around 11:00 chat, visit, several RV's/Rocket.

Regards,

All I can say is Wow! The metallic red looks great, and I like the subtle downward sweep at the tail. Very nice.

Veerrry Nice! They did a great job.
I'm looking for someone to do my 7A.
Could you contact me offline?

Things I'd like to know.
Did you remove the control services, access panels...?
What state was the fiberglass?
Any additional prep or pinhole filling work?
Acid etch?
How long did it take?
How much advanced noticed?
Price range? Was it as quoted?

I'm also looking at another company, Foster's in Lakeland FL.
They are located close by.

BTW, I'm really happy with my 66x76 pitch catto.
The speeds have really come up once all the fairings on.
WOT=2660rpm.

Back