What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Other NAV/COMM for Dynon HSI than GARMIN?

Camillo

Well Known Member
Hi. I planned a panel with one EFIS Dynon D10A as directional gyro and HSI/RMI.

Dynon website says compatibility is granted with Garmin SL-30, GNS430 and 530.

I can't install SL-30 since in Italy it is not (yet?) omologated and I would not like to afford/install the bigger/more expensive 430, considered I would also need a second NAV/COMM.

I was wondering if someone tried other NAV/COMM's and experienced full compatibility with Dynon EFIS is HSI mode.

Thanks.
Camillo

If you add the HS-34 to the Dynon, it gives you a ton more options.

The SL-30 can use just a single RS-232 interface for full functionallity with the Dynon. I think it is the only radio that can do this at this time.

MGL is comming out with a radio that mirrors the SL-30 communications and will also be compatible with anything that is currently compatible with the SL-30 per MGL. It is prommised to be much less expensive than the SL-30.

The HS-34 adds the analog connections and the ARINC-429 interface so it will work with stuff with these interfaces.

Be advised that most of the Bendix/King stuff uses some weird composite signal and most of their stuff won't work with the Dynon even if you purchase their expensive composite to analog converter.

Thank-you, Brantel.
It seems that the only Nav/comm which are both OK in Italy and sold on main sites are Garmin 430/530 and King. King is not suitable with Dynon HSI. I don't want to be obliged to buy 430.

So, I think I will abandon the idea of buying a second EFIS as HSI and will look for some other solution...

I think I will also have to plan again my panel...that's a shame.

Camillo

Back