What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh

Reilly

Hi

My first trip to the USA and Oshkosh this year.

Cannot wait and am mostly looking forward to seeing lots of completed RV12's standing there.

I will be looking at tips and options for the remainder of my build. I have completed the Emp and wings.

So my big question is how many 12's can one expect to see at Oshkosh?

Also some advice on what I should not miss out on would be appreciated.

regards
Reilly

As of now it looks like a three ship from Texas will be arriving on Sunday.

Pretty sure your gonna see one on Phillips 66 Plaza (or what ever they call AeroShell Square now) on Monday morning.

Bob

Required for Oshkosh

-The best waking shoes you can find
-Sun Block
-A hat to keep the sun off your head
-A camera with the largest amount of storage you can find
-TIME...Enough of it so you can take it all in. Whatever you think it will be, it won't. It is more. Better. Amazing. Truly, a one of a kind experience.

Visit KOSH 2021

I am currently on schedule

* purchased last year at Oshkosh
* delivered late Sept 2011
* Paint scheduled for May 1 (panic 4 more weeks - LOL)
* Avionics and finish wiring (ASAP)
* Schedule the DAR for June ?

My big question can I get the 40 hours needed for phase 1

Working nights and weekends to hit the goal set last summer.

"Sweetie" will be there! Expecting her inspection this month - April 2012. Have dorm room reserved. Only a 5 hour flyoff per my DAR.

I am currently on schedule

* purchased last year at Oshkosh
* delivered late Sept 2011
* Paint scheduled for May 1 (panic 4 more weeks - LOL)
* Avionics and finish wiring (ASAP)
* Schedule the DAR for June ?

My big question can I get the 40 hours needed for phase 1

Working nights and weekends to hit the goal set last summer.

We are in a very similar sitiation with a deadline over at the Eagles Nest.
Good to know we arent the only ones

Another question for David, how long did your canopy installation take? that is the main thing that worries me about finishing. Thanks

Just realized where you are coming from, and that this is your first trip! Another thing that might be special would be a ticket to Van's banquet! It is a great chance to meet lots of the folks you see here, and enjoy a good meal. Try to buddy-up with someone for a half day or so, just to get the layout down. It is bigger than you can imagine! There are over 500 acres of campgrounds and 600 acres of display area. Also, if you can arrange it, camping is a good way to meet people.

Bob

Walked my feet off!

There is so much to see, on my visit I just walked and walked, till after 3 days my feet just gave up. My advice is to go into training before you leave home, wear you best hiking shoes, never pass up the opportunity for a drink of water or a ride on a shuttle going your way. Spread out your walking tours by sitting to watch the flying displays. Truly, for someone with the aviation virus, Oshkosh is amazing!
Rod

Think Woodstock

without the dope, except for the rag wing guys that is :rolleyes:...

You will love it. Just be prepared to walk, and walk, and walk...

Hi

My first trip to the USA and Oshkosh this year....
Also some advice on what I should not miss out on would be appreciated.

regards
Reilly

Don't miss Monday, July 23rd. Some special events planned for RV'ers.
Some announced: "Celebrating the 40th anniversary of Van's RV Aircraft and saluting Dick VanGrunsven".
Others to be announced soon....

-The best waking shoes you can find
-Sun Block
-A hat to keep the sun off your head
-A camera with the largest amount of storage you can find
-TIME...Enough of it so you can take it all in. Whatever you think it will be, it won't. It is more. Better. Amazing. Truly, a one of a kind experience.

I make it a point to buy a brand new pair of good walking shoes each year for Oshkosh.

I'd also like to add:

- A good lightweight backpack to carry your stuff so you can keep your hands free.
- A cheap plastic rain poncho.
- Couple of bottles of water, after you drink the original contents of one, you can refill it at the fountains. I like to have a spare bottle too. Maybe some single-serving Gatorade powder packages, or "Mio" or other water flavorings if you get tired of drinking plain water.
- One of those insulated bottle "koozie" bags to help keep the water bottle cool, and that also has a quick-release clip to attach it to a belt loop or backpack strap ring (Walmart has them in the camping section for about $5)
- Maybe some snack foods (trail mix, granola bars, beef jerky, etc) in the backpack so you won't have to buy too many $8 hot dogs or burgers, although if you visit the seaplane base, the angus beef sandwich (only sold at the seaplane base concession stand) is a must-have.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys. Travelling with 6 mates from South Africa and we are all camping with a larger SA tour group.

Do any of the tool/aircraft part suppliers have stands there such as Aircraft Spruce?

OMG

Reilly,

Spruce will be there in force, but there are so many other vendors of tool and supplies the list is huge. These groups fill 3 (maybe 4) builds and then some. There is a big "flea market" and much more.

Enjoy

There are over 600 vendors there, and a sizable number are tool dealers, probably several dozen. Cleaveland and Avery are there in force, along with all the other well-known names. You will be able to download a list of vendors and their locations probably a month before the event. Mark the ones you want to visit. Building "A" numbers are 1XXX, "B" 2XXX, etc. Build a "visit list" and save yourselves a bunch of time!

Bob

Stop by the international tent

Thanks for the tips guys. Travelling with 6 mates from South Africa and we are all camping with a larger SA tour group.

Do any of the tool/aircraft part suppliers have stands there such as Aircraft Spruce?

Make sure to stop in and register at the international tent and get your ticket for the Free friday night international feed over at the nature center.

Back