What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh Mini Venture

Vlad

Well Known Member
It looks like I tried almost all modes of transportation to Oshkosh within several years. In pre-RV years I was riding on a Greyhound Bus, Amtrak and flew inside an aluminum tube. This year I decided to drive my little pocket car and take a ferry. The good thing about driving that far this year was that my friends from faraway land decided to follow me in a rental. First I was surprised and in a state of denial but after thinking it over, agreed. They brought their fancy foreign speaking glonasses, spent a week in NYC flipping their biological clocks 12 hours behind and reported ready on Saturday 24th of July 2010.

We left New York early morning the Rat city symbol was smiling. In rear mirror I saw several people with big cameras were chasing somebody one almost fell... Probably paparazzi chasing a celeb. Plenty of both in our concrete jungle.

rat.jpg

Holland Tunnel was on regular crowdy business early weekend with one line closed. People never sleep in NY on weekends. I was sitting low in my yellow MINI and the Russians were couple cars behind in a high black suvi they never lost sight of me.

crowdybeforetunnel.jpg

The plan for first day was to get to Michigan area preferrably to Ludington where the ferry boards for WI. We were not in rush, drove enjoying Pennsylvania mountains and Ohio prairies. Stopping in two or three hours to get kids out and coffee in. It happened that traffic was good and in waves averaging 82 mph we reached Ludington by twilight. To get some luxury accomodations for my friends was a bit of challenge but I persuaded them to take "an antique motel" the only difference from super 8 was triple price and older furniture :). They were tired and agreed.

I woke up early morning, lined everybody before Ludington Courthouse and briefed them. They complained about food but it was forgotten fast because ferry was departing in 30 minutes. C'mon you slow Russkis we are late for ferry.

getreadyforSSBadger.jpg

Boarding the ferry was another story. Imagine sniffing dogs and foreigners without English. They wanted drive the car inside the ship themselves till I interfered. That is one crew this guys were patient unlike others...

FrommyCaravan.jpg

It was a great 4 hour journey aboard SS Badger.

condos1.jpg

You can not see coast line both ways for two hours.

nocoast.jpg

This fellows are probably looking for a submarine.

lookingforasub.jpg

I was thinking safety. What if the ship hits an iceberg, a mine or get attacked by a sub? It has only six rescue boats. Will I be able to fit my Mini car in one of them? Probably not.

rescueboat.jpg

Long journey short we noticed the land. What strange colors are those beaches? Oh wait it's not the beaches it's different color of water.

Manitowoc1.jpg

Last edited:
My buddies suggested that this is raw ale because of proximity of a BudLight Monument :D There were some big fishes in the ale belly up probably drunk.

man6.jpg

[
Man5.jpg

Others said it was pure beer of a Wisconsin kind. Of course I didn't mentioned The Great Flood. They won't believe me because it's a scorching drought in their home country.

manitowoc2.jpg

Man4.jpg

Sunday drive via beautiful Wisconsin countryside was a pleasure. The glonasses were totally confused and we used old fashioned charts from last century. My buddies followed me to Fond du Lac where I put them in the best hotel I could find in that city. Never saw them again :D (talked on the phone many times trying to sort out their crazy purchases :confused:)

to be continued...

Last edited:
Oshkosh met me with lines of cars, mobile homes and motorcycles stretched for a mile.

DSC_0066-1.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

Runway was less busier than previous years and later I understood why.

DSC_0064-1.jpg

Parked in a private residence area (Thank you 22C owners!)

DSC_0300.jpg

Just to give you an idea of the location the blimp was tethered right by the residence.

DSC_0226.jpg

My good old buddy John and I have a tradition to meet at Oshkosh on the first day. John is building RV-9A and lives in Wisconsin. We are approximately at the same stage of building and will fly our RVs to Oshkosh in 2012.

DSC_0116.jpg

We combed the Sea of RV for some ideas. Payed special attention to cowling pins finishing ends. Now I have a good collection of pictures showing those pins in dozen flavors. Then we left for seaplane base tour.

By the entrance we saw that beast. Soviet era motorcycle. Holly Connolly how he got it here :eek:

DSC_0119.jpg

Almost Scott Schmidt style but with steam gage(s). :D

DSC_0120.jpg

Last edited:
Touring the seabase was awesome. We took a boat ride. The volunteer captain directed his ship to the atoll where all the cubs were anchored. What a postcard view!

DSC_0172.jpg

He entertained us non stop cool guy. Volunteers here for 25 years.

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

He explained to us that this is a private laguna and EAA rents it for a week. All those tiedowns soon will be removed and stored. Only things left will be concrete blocks on the bottom connected by a submerged cable.

DSC_0162.jpg

By the way do you know how to recognize a Maule seaplane? I told him just punch N-number into a FAA database wrong answer he said. It's written on the wing tips:D

DSC_0163.jpg

It was good day at Oshkosh.

Last edited:
:)Brief tour of Vendors Plaza on day one netted fellow RVator behind the counters. Don Pansier of DeltaPopAviation with his antennae.

DonofDeltaPopAviation.jpg

The stand looks familiar. Where did you get it Don? :D

DeltaPopproducts.jpg

At the University I bumped into High Commander and he recognized me right away. He was loaded with gear like a North Pole Traveller. We exchanged couple words I was called, spent a minute at the counter and there was no High Commander any more... May be I was dreaming :)

I have more for tomorrow....

Last edited:
The grounds were slowly filling with RVs. I tracked couple of them by APRS and was surprised to see the tracks end at Fond du Lac. They told me later that Wittman was closed because of wet parking areas.

Jerry Thorne's Enterprise was here with the Deep Space Telescope.

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

Award winning Alan's RV was here too. I saw a beautiful navigatrix on the right side. She looked very Russian...

DSC_0074.jpg

22C was one of the first to land after airport opened.

DSC_0080.jpg

Miss Lilly was offering herself for sale. This can happen only in Oshkosh. Good thing is the owner probably didn't now that.

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

Kevin's Royal RV was here barefoot. Shoes are pricey in Canada and Kevin takes them off when he flies abroad.

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg

Some sketches from the grounds. Ford rules but I drive a Mini.

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_5643.jpg

This crew is from a movie I remember I saw years ago.

DSC_0202.jpg

Interesting winglets

DSC_0210.jpg

winglet1.jpg

Winglet2.jpg

This stingy thing turned 75 today!

DSC_0278.jpg

Some futuristics from Chinese comrades

DSC_0270-1.jpg

DSC_0272-1.jpg

Pilots, pilots, pilots... Some of them do not pay attention first at all. Especially those from WWI. But as soon as a beautiful lady joins them they change in a snap.

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0214.jpg

Mighty Air Force reps

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

This guy only looks like a spy but Jim and Jeff will tell you that he is not :D

aspy.jpg

Jim.jpg

jeff.jpg

Ted and Alfio will confirm that too :D

DSC_0196.jpg

Jerry cool guy he is in my pilot book too...

JerrysBand.jpg

My favorite t-shirt company how would they know I arrive in a yellow Mini? This year they had a TV which shows cartoons and may be installed on a panel. It looks like a little device we had in last century in our kitchens to watch soap operas. Bunch of buttons and knobs I may want one later. Did I mention the company also sells avionics on the side? :D

DSC_0194.jpg

I messed the exposition on my auto selection and Jaybird's picture is dark. He volunteers with Avery.

DSC_0199.jpg

Somebody asked me to check if they have unique propellers for his experimental and I found him this one. He may never have prop strike with this. It is almost 18" wide

DSC_0203.jpg

propp1.jpg

I was looking for Caveman's RV but found the Mills. They occupied Joe's space :D It was smart parking by the farthest corner.

DSC_0237.jpg

Great looking Ellipse prop

DSC_0089.jpg

:D

DSC_0250.jpg

oh that's why

DSC_0251.jpg

Another award winner. Great job! Does it look like a UPS truck inside?

DSC_0258.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

A gathering before the Banquet. "New and old" RVators welcomed.

DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg

I met Bob Kelly. Yes the same legendary Robert Kelly who wrote the book "Broken Wings" about the rise and fall of greater air armada. Bob did a lot of research and included pictures in his book. I found it very interesting.

brokenwings.jpg

I decided to go to University Campus after the show to have some food and meet couple friends. I fired my Mini and drove to town. Nobody told me that traffic is going only one direction in evenings. I took a detour, then another one and missed the right exit. Twice :D Here is the APRS track of the hold :D

Picture2.png

Big Beautiful Babushka

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

Aircraft from Pandora

DSC_0247.jpg

Pandoran Pilot exits here

DSC_0248.jpg

Plane-on-a-budget

hummelbird.jpg

Backpack-for-big-money

DSC_0277.jpg

On my way back home I drove through Chicago. Man the Big City looks like home far from home. Smoke, noise, clogged traffic. Back to reality my friend. It's time to recover from fresh air poisoning :D

DSC_0302.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

No RV Hotels were along the road and I diverted to Cleveland to visit my St. Lucian friends.

DSC_0330.jpg

Stayed overnight in the hospitable house. Received official invitation to visit St. Lucia on my way to Brazil. They asked me to transport some trees to their brother in NY so I did. These trees are now planted by a house in East New York. Home grown tomatoes I ate :)

DSC_0334.jpg

This compilation of slides was my best effort to reflect that memorable trip I took to Oshkosh 2010. In subtitles I tried to insert some humor please forgive if some captions looks clumsy. If it sounds a bit off please let me know I would correct or remove them. Oh did I mention that the write up was done by one whose native language is neither Germanic nor Romanic . :)

I was looking for Caveman's RV but found the Mills. They occupied Joe's space :D It was smart parking by the farthest corner.

I'm still out there!
I missed Oshkosh due to work commitments and to take a motorcycle trip to Durango, Co. We rode the million $ highway and put 1640 miles on the Harley D. Heresy I know, but I'm paying back my bride and doing things she wants to do this year. "Cavey" is still flying great! He took me to a breakfast fly-in the day we returned from Colorado. Things have been crazy at work and I've postponed or rescheduled several flying excursions this year due to family and work commitments. I plan to make the LOE fly-in and am contemplating trying the Black Hills fly-in. It wasn't easy to miss Oshkosh, believe me. In spite of all this, I still managed to put 111 hours on the airplane over the last year. Nice write up Vlad. Keep pounding away. You will love your airplane!

Nice Write Up Vlad

Sorry I missed you this year, was busy directing traffic in the mud! Next year. Glenn

Howdy from Texas

Vlad,

Again this year I enjoyed your write up. It was great to see you and I guess I am buying lunch in 2012. But you have to fly your RV-9A to Oshkosh to collect.

Nice of you to come to chat with me at the HBC in my White and Yellow RV9A.

Good write up with nice pictures. I enjoy reading it.

See you in 2012..I think your RV9a will be done waay earlier sooo... Good luck with your building and pound those rivets one at a time.:)

Back