What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh from Space 2023

Just had the same reaction tonight from a few friends. Though I think I heard an equal amount of shocked statements of "those are all campers and RVs?!?!?" in Camp Scholler when I showed some folks the pictures.

Great photographs!

Amazing!! The "unobscured" image was taken Thursday about 10 am when we had the longest Conga Line in OSH history! If you look at the main taxiway (Papa), the airplanes are lined up to the departure area (just past The Boeing Plaza) and are nearly to the airport fence at the far left of the picture. The were at one point backed up to the fence! The Plaza was also dumping large airplanes out of their area and blocking things at Papa 2 (the connection to the Plaza). I was at Papa 3 trying to make things go faster. We were trying to get airplanes to shut down so they wouldn't overheat. The pilots were overheating as well (physically and "mentally":mad:) and we were giving them water from our camp sites! It wasn't until about 11 when things were nearly cleared out. Tough day!:eek::eek::eek:

We had 28 parking spots left in Vintage/South 40 on Wednesday at airport closing. Amazing year! Over 10,000 airplanes on the field! That's nearly 5% of all GA aircraft in the US! One in every 22 airplanes in the US was there! Record year for all areas! Visit the EAA website for details....:eek:

I was marshalling down in the South 40 during all this. It was definitely nuts to say the least. I think I remember 3 separate shutdowns between 9am and the show. We were able to clear out one conga line, and about 5 minutes later another one filled right back up. Most pilots were pretty tolerant, in a "it is what it is" kind of way. The waters we passed out helped. I remember one Canadian plane (probably a Quebecer, based on accent) whose pilot was getting spicy after the 2nd shutdown, literally jumping out of his plane with an exasperated "WTF?!?". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What frosted a lot of pilots was later on, seeing that apparently Vintage got cleared out but the South 40 was held back, and we really didn't have any info. We were guessing it was because the grass taxiway up Vintage was in front of the airshow safety line, and /had/ to be cleared out for the show. But that was only our guess.

Crazy time, that Thursday morning was...

Conga line

What frosted a lot of pilots was later on, seeing that apparently Vintage got cleared out but the South 40 was held back, and we really didn't have any info. We were guessing it was because the grass taxiway up Vintage was in front of the airshow safety line, and /had/ to be cleared out for the show. But that was only our guess.

Funny thing was (but not) that our pilots were complaining that the South 40 was being cleared out while Vintage was not! :rolleyes: Truth be told: both were moving but, since the South 40 was further away for taxiing, had to be stopped first. As it was we came VERY close to having aircraft on the Papa taxiway (where the jumpers jump zone is!!) at airshow time. We got the last airplane off 3 minutes before the jumpers came out and actually had to delay the airshow start as they wanted to start early....:eek::eek::eek:

Back