What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH, getting in & out

GatorsR1

Well Known Member
Patron
The trusty RV12 and I are finally getting to fly to OSH AirVenture this year!
Weather permitting, planning to depart home base 8A1 (Guntersville, AL) early Wednesday (7/17), fly fairly direct towards second gas stop at KDKB and to arrive same day or early Thurs (7/18) and hopefully beat the rush and noon NOTAM.
Assuming that all works, it'll be nice & non-stressful to call tower 10 miles out & enter as is normal for a Class D.
If I get delayed, the Notice has been studied and will be in hand.
I am wondering more about departures (VFR).
What's it like leaving on last day (Sunday)?
Is it usually "easy" to depart as late as noonish?
I'll be headed north-westward (KRHI).
Wonderful week wishes to all !
bc

Sunday is usually pretty easy to depart in the morning - taxi across the vast empty fields of grass where airplanes used to be to the runway in use and depart….. Showing up just before the NOTAM might sound good BTW, but….the local controllers start melting down with more than a couple of airplanes inbound, and with more and more people trying to beat the rush, it can get “interesting.“

I will try this year to fly in too. I do not plan to beat the rush since there wont be much to do for four days without a car. last year I car camped and was able to explore green bay and surrounding areas in the days prior to the big show.

i am not scared of the Notam, but I am scared of what the weather will do to the NOTAM.

The trusty RV12 and I are finally getting to fly to OSH AirVenture this year!
Weather permitting, planning to depart home base 8A1 (Guntersville, AL) early Wednesday (7/17), fly fairly direct towards second gas stop at KDKB and to arrive same day or early Thurs (7/18) and hopefully beat the rush and noon NOTAM.
Assuming that all works, it'll be nice & non-stressful to call tower 10 miles out & enter as is normal for a Class D.
If I get delayed, the Notice has been studied and will be in hand.
I am wondering more about departures (VFR).
What's it like leaving on last day (Sunday)?
Is it usually "easy" to depart as late as noonish?
I'll be headed north-westward (KRHI).
Wonderful week wishes to all !
bc
DKB is a great stop. You’ll have no problems departing OSH on Sunday.

I've been flying into OSH in my RV-12 (Cincinnati area) for 5 years now and usually stop at DKB to make sure the tank is full going in. I try to get in early on Saturday before the show and airspace gets full. No issues so far...usually pretty smooth arrival following the Notam. Weather can be a bigger disruptor to arrival/departure plans. Good luck and enjoy your flight.

The RNC Convention is July 15-18 in downtown Milwaukee. TFR has not been published but it will be 30 NM radius from some point in downtown Milwaukee, surface to 18'000'.

Even though the NOTAM technically kicks in at noon Thursday, they usually don’t have the full Fisk arrival going, so you still may end up coming in more or less normally. Monitor tower from a ways out as you’ll sometimes hear them broadcasting to any inbound aircraft to just call them up X miles out. Or you may get the full deal. Always be ready for anything at Oshkosh.

Once you land don’t expect all the flaggers to be in place either, taxiing is pretty much standard tower ops. Shockingly even after all these years some of the regular controllers don’t know the grounds so they may not know where “homebuilt camping” is. Be prepared to give your taxi request in normal airport terms, ie. “the far west end of taxiway Papa-1” or wherever you may be headed.

Homebuilt camping is easy. At the north end of 18/36 go straight west. Fourth street crossing the taxiway is Knapp St. Homebuilt camping is the area to the south after crossing Knapp.

DKB is a great stop. You’ll have no problems departing OSH on Sunday.
KDKB has been my favorite stop for years. Friendly staff, free burgers & dogs, chips, water, cheap fuel.... Great time to stretch your legs & just a short hop to RIPON. Gives you a chance to get your head in the game.

KDKB has been my favorite stop for years. Friendly staff, free burgers & dogs, chips, water, cheap fuel.... Great time to stretch your legs & just a short hop to RIPON. Gives you a chance to get your head in the game.
Exactly. We got stuck there with WX last year and one of the locals let us, and several other intrepid transient aviators, stay overnight in their hangar while it rained FURIOUSLY outside. I won’t soon forget that courtesy!!!

Thanks everyone for the nice responses.
Makes me feel OK about the Sunday departure and reiterates the crapshoot that arrival can be.
AirVenture is an apt name for a flying adventure from all corners of our country (and the world!).
Some additional backstory ... wife, dog & I are headed to Camp Scholler next week in our terrestrial RV (Class C motorhome).
We'll set up, kick back and watch the land yacht arrivals (as we've done for years).
But on Tuesday (7/16), I'll catch a Delta flight from Appleton back home to Huntsville and hop in the RV the next day (fingers crossed for decent weather).
Looking forward to seeing old & new friends, the usual suspects, beer fests and evening Heritage flights.

Bob, Carol & Benny Jetfighter, we're all happy that our favorite time of the year is about to begin again.

Thanks everyone for the nice responses.
Makes me feel OK about the Sunday departure and reiterates the crapshoot that arrival can be.
AirVenture is an apt name for a flying adventure from all corners of our country (and the world!).
Some additional backstory ... wife, dog & I are headed to Camp Scholler next week in our terrestrial RV (Class C motorhome).
We'll set up, kick back and watch the land yacht arrivals (as we've done for years).
But on Tuesday (7/16), I'll catch a Delta flight from Appleton back home to Huntsville and hop in the RV the next day (fingers crossed for decent weather).
Looking forward to seeing old & new friends, the usual suspects, beer fests and evening Heritage flights.

Bob, Carol & Benny Jetfighter, we're all happy that our favorite time of the year is about to begin again.
Another vote for KDKB. I used to stop there when I lived in Florida. The staff gave us a ride to/from a nearby hotel one year when we RON due to wx. July 17 might be a little early in the week for burgers etc, tho.

Another vote for KDKB. I used to stop there when I lived in Florida. The staff gave us a ride to/from a nearby hotel one year when we RON due to wx. July 17 might be a little early in the week for burgers etc, tho.
KDKB is great! Steve, I remember the year we got the ride to the hotel. Hope to see you at Oshkosh this year!

Homebuilt camping is easy. At the north end of 18/36 go straight west. Fourth street crossing the taxiway is Knapp St. Homebuilt camping is the area to the south after crossing Knapp.
What he said, I might add, HBC sign in window for parking volunteers I believe P1 is well known to tower...and oh yeah... GO Gators
:cool:

What he said, I might add, HBC sign in window for parking volunteers I believe P1 is well known to tower...and oh yeah... GO Gators
:cool:
Hi Jerry !
Before departing KDKB, will verify the NOTICE and HBC sign available in cockpit.
I'm assuming that P1 is correct taxiway for HBP and will be directed to park south of P1, east of HBC and closer to Knapp?
When are you arriving?
:geek:

Hi Jerry !
Before departing KDKB, will verify the NOTICE and HBC sign available in cockpit.
I'm assuming that P1 is correct taxiway for HBP and will be directed to park south of P1, east of HBC and closer to Knapp?
When are you arriving?
:geek:
I depart for OSH 7/8 overnight at Rockford and arrive next AM. Don't fly too much anymore so I drive and still volunteer in Homebuilt .

P-1 is indeed the correct taxiway, just tell ground control that's where you want to go (since there won't be any flaggers out on the taxiway.) Once you get to P-1 there will be a few of us early-arriving volunteers to help get you parked in the right spot.

(y) Thanks Jeff for the taxi info ... that's one more thing I won't have to be wondering about & stressing over (and saves RAM space that'll be sorely needed in the old brainbucket)

I depart for OSH 7/8 overnight at Rockford and arrive next AM. Don't fly too much anymore so I drive and still volunteer in Homebuilt .
If you can, check on my camper at improved site M331. I dropped it off 6/30, and got stuck pulling it in. Got unstuck and placed correctly without calling a wrecker, but it was very soft. I've seen they've had more rain since then, I hope it hasn't sank up to the frame.... I'll be back either 7/20 or 7/21 depending on traffic on the long road from Florida (Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville, YUCK)

Last edited:
If you can, check on my camper at improved site M331. I dropped it off 6/30, and got stuck pulling it in. Got unstuck and placed correctly without calling a wrecker, but it was very soft. I've seen they've had more rain since then, I hope it hasn't sank up to the frame.... I'll be back either 6/20 or 6/21 depending on traffic on the long road from Florida (Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville, YUCK)
Ill check for you on wed or thurs, remind me since Im an ol guy

Back