What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH Departure

h&jeuropa

Well Known Member
Departed OSH Thursday morning without problems. But like previous years, I struggled to complete my Before Takeoff Checklist. I don't want to do a mag check in HBC (and I need to get the engine warm first too) but there doesn't seem to be an opportunity to do it while taxiing to the runway and once at the departure point is too late. I'm curious when others do their runup and takeoff checklist.

Thanks

Jim Butcher

Departed OSH Thursday morning without problems. But like previous years, I struggled to complete my Before Takeoff Checklist. I don't want to do a mag check in HBC (and I need to get the engine warm first too) but there doesn't seem to be an opportunity to do it while taxiing to the runway and once at the departure point is too late. I'm curious when others do their runup and takeoff checklist.

Thanks

Jim Butcher

I check controls free and clear before engine start, and set trim and flaps immediately after engine start. I do mag and prop checks while taxiing.

I check controls free and clear before engine start, and set trim and flaps immediately after engine start. I do mag and prop checks while taxiing.
This is the way I've always done it at big airports. Check everything you can before start, then everything else but the runup before you start rolling. Mags and props on the roll, assuming you've got the empty taxiway space and mental bandwidth to do it safely.

I've never flown into Oshkosh, but I've been to a fair number of class C airports and back in the day, a fair few class B airports as well. It makes everybody's life easier if you're ready to go when you get to the end.

Thanks

Jim Butcher
Obviously you left early, at 9:30 it took us an hour as they switched runways from 27 to 9 due to wind shifts right when we were about 6 or so from the 27 threshold.
Great event and weather this year was the best in years, actually returned home with an undamaged tent :D
Figs

Like others, I do my checks on the roll to the runway. And even at Oshkosh - if you really have a problem you can get out of the line, all you gotta do is key up your mike and ask. Trust me, they DON'T WANT a sick airplane trying to take off at Oshkosh. I waited a good long time this morning behind the DC3 doing their checks on the taxiway, and had to remind myself of the age of the equipment and how careful they were being because of that, it's all good.

I usually take advantage of a pause in the line, like the DC-3 runup (yeah, give those guys a healthy spacing), stop, angle slightly (away from the crowd! (saw a Corsair blow a bunch of stuff over one year)) and do the mag/prop check. Like others have said, do as much as you can before you start taxiing (and don't forget to enter and activate your flight plan on the navigator), and use a checklist! Very easy to get distracted in the rush and forget something, like flaps.

And follow the NOTAM. Watched a Cherokee take off on 36 Thursday and go straight out, blowing through the arrival pattern for 27.

Back