What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Original Kit Tire Wear?

Jimd

Well Known Member
I am about to install my first set of replacement tires on my RV6.

I got about 130 hours on the original rubber that came in the finish kit. I have no idea on the exact number of landings but I do like to practice landings so I would estimate at least 5 landings per hour average = 600 or so landings. Almost all of this on concrete. (I think I had a brake dragging for the first 5 hours, the bolts on the pedal were binding up and not letting thepedal release.)

Is this typical for the cheap aerotrainers or whatever they are that come in the kit?

I am trying a retread from dresser this time around.

Jim D.

I got about 130 hours on the original rubber that came in the finish kit. I have no idea on the exact number of landings but I do like to practice landings so I would estimate at least 5 landings per hour average = 600 or so landings. Almost all of this on concrete. (I think I had a brake dragging for the first 5 hours, the bolts on the pedal were binding up and not letting thepedal release.)

Is this typical for the cheap aerotrainers or whatever they are that come in the kit?

Jim D.

You definitely got your money's worth! :) Six-hundred landings is great mileage for those tires.

Enjoy your new plane!

Jim D.

You definitely got your money's worth! :) Six-hundred landings is great mileage for those tires. The Desser retreads are a good buy.

Enjoy your new plane!

About right

Hi Jim,

In reality you probably didn't have that many landings but the wear per hour is about right. I got about 150 out the supplied tires.

As I've posted before, be sure you check your wheel pant clearance if you replace with another brand. The same "numbers" don't equate to the exact size. A 1/4" diameter difference is huge for clearance.

FYI, it took about 2 hours to repair the wheel pant.:eek:

In comparison, I got 440/330 (left/right) landings on supplied Air Hawk tires. My second set was Dresser retreads. I got 268/440 landings. The left side wore very fast. I must had a lemon tire:confused:. My third set is back to Air Hawk. After 187 landings they are looking pretty good (slight wear on the outside, both left and right are even). My landing skill must improved to have even wear.

Indeed you got your money's worth with 600 landings.

Here is another data point from Dan Checkoway:

http://www.rvproject.com/20051214.html

I just happen to track the number of landings in my Excel log book.

With 229.8 hours on my RV-9 and 362 landings, mostly on pavement, the tires hardly look worn. When I pulled the wheel pants prior to SnF to inspect and inflate them you could still see the part line on the tires.

Why have they lasted so long when others are lucky to get 150 hours out of their tires? My thoughts are that the RV-9 lands much slower than the other RV's and my low empty weight (990 lbs) help with tire life. In addition, I do mostly full stall landings rather than wheel landings. This helps because full stall landings tend to be slower than wheel landings.

As for tire pressure, I used to keep it at around 25 PSI and now I pump them up to 35 PSI and inflate them when they get down to 25.

450/???

I was able to get 2.5 years/450 hours and I gotta think 800 landings on the kit tires, and they could have gone longer - I changed them when I got scared the brakes had gone too long and I had a trip coming up.

No magic formula other than I never use flaps and I'm not sure that would help tire wear.

I re-shod with Dresser Retreads and plan to never change them again ;)

expect fairing mod

I'm just finnishing up adding 1/2 inch of highth to the tops of my wheel fairings after getting new Flight Customs. Never throw out your old glass and epoxy!

Thanks!

Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback! A few tip I would have NOT considered like the pants, I still have that project to complete.

Jim

Yeah...But!

I am about to install my first set of replacement tires on my RV6......Is this typical for the cheap aerotrainers or whatever they are that come in the kit?.......
Jim,

When comparing tire wear with the experiences of other builders, it is important to note that there can be significant differences in tire wear patterns because some designs such as the -6A require the builder to determine and drill critical landing gear alignment holes as opposed to later more advanced RV designs that merely require the builder to line up existing holes already pre-drilled at the factory. Also, even when making an apples to apples comparison, slight differences in builder determined landing gear hole alignment and drill out can result in huge differences in tire wear when comparing one airplane of the same design to the next. In fact, my experience with the -6A cannot be directly compared with your -6 because of differing "footprints." Still, as a data point for your consideration, my records show that at 149.7 hours TT in an effort to mitigate uneven tire wear, I dissassembled both wheel assemblies and rotated both the inner tubes and kit supplied Air Hawk main tires.

This photo was entered into the airframe log (a routine technique I often use to illustrate various entries) and shows tire condition just prior to rotation.

54egw5.jpg

At 218.5 hours TT, I replaced both hopelessly worn main tires with AeroClassic 5.00-5 tires. Even though I purchased new, I reused the original inner tubes. In the process, the tire change instantly solved a vexing wheel shimmy issue that had cropped up earlier and I wrongfully attributed to nose wheel issues. If ever there was a prime example of "YMMV".....tire wear issues reported by builders can be as varied as the individuals who build and fly RV's.

wow Pete....

You must be the State record holder for landings made on kit tires, although I suspect more than half of them were on those ice coated runways up there in the Great White North.... Anyway, with 65 hours on my ship, they are ready for rotation, and I don't expect them to last much more than 100 hours or so. I have a lot of landings, and my technique has improved, so we will see.
Great discussion.

Regards,
Chris

More info...

I thought I would add -

I was getting more wear on the left than the right main and the outside of each tire wore first and I did pull them off the wheel and flip them around for some extra time on each.

Jim

Back