What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ordering the RV-10 Empennage kit

Hey guys I'm looking to order the empennage kit on Thursday pay day and I am wondering what all extras I need for the kit. The only other option that I can think of i want to add is the electric trim for both the rudder and elevator. Is there anything i need to get from vans that I'm missing out on other than the electric trim kits?

Now for a little bit about myself My name is Chris and i am a A&P mechanic i spend most of my day rebuilding the wings on P-3's.

Welcome to VAF and be advised that the RV-10 kits do not include rudder trim that I know of. I made mine. They are available from aftermarket vendors. Other than Proseal for the trailing edges you should be OK for the empenage kit.

Welcome to VAF!!

Chris,
welcome.gif
to VAF.

Good to have you aboard:D

As was already mentioned, the electric trim is standard, rudder is a roll your own if you want a trim tab, there are vendors out there making spring bias systems also.

And yes, get proseal if you do not have any already aviable.

Enjoy:D:D

As Ron mentioned, there aren't many other things you need for the tail group.

Trim - look at Aerosport Products, can be installed at the end of final,assembly

Rudder cable fairings from Avery: These can be installed anytime before final assembly of the vertical. It's easier to get you hand inside without the vertical installed

Static Ports: I would read up on how you want to handle the static ports. Go with the factory blind rivet or a 3rd party solution. I would start on Tim Olson's site myrv10.com for your research. If you haven't registered there, you should. Rim keeps a list of all the RV-10 builders contact info plus some other goodies. I install static ports from Cleaveland Tools. But since I'm still a month or so from first flight, I can't yet comment on accuracy. You can install these later too, but they are much easier to install before you attach the tail to the fuselage.

Welcome to VAF. You will have some time while you build the tail feathers but, before you get to the tail cone, you will want to decide some things. Static ports were already mentioned. Air conditioning, if you want it, is easier to install as you build the tail. Similarly with a built-in oxygen system. If you will be using them, pitch and yaw servos for an autopilot. And you may also want to locate your strobe power supply back there. It's not too early to start thinking about systems and anything you might install in the tail is much easier to access before you put the top skins on.

I do plan to install an AC but i have yet to decide what system i want to go with. As far as a stadic port i do plan to go with the pop rivet just for the fact that is the most accurate, all i see with alternatives is problems. I plan to get the elevator trim servo so its ready to mount. I will be spraying the inside of the structure with primer and installing all parts wet.

Welcome

Please be sure to let us know what builder number you get. It will let those of us who are interested know how many tailkits have been sold for the 10. For instance, my builder # is 41234, which means my tail kit was the 1,234th one sold by Vans. I purchased mine last year, in February, so I'm sure they've sold quite a few since then...

P.S. I'd recommend getting some Stanley organizer boxes like the ones I got.
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=mikrettig&project=803&category=6821&log=128282&row=12
They help immensely with inventorying and organizing rivets, hardware and other small parts of each kit.

Hey somebody local. Hooray. How construction coming?

Please be sure to let us know what builder number you get. It will let those of us who are interested know how many tailkits have been sold for the 10. For instance, my builder # is 41234, which means my tail kit was the 1,234th one sold by Vans. I purchased mine last year, in February, so I'm sure they've sold quite a few since then...

P.S. I'd recommend getting some Stanley organizer boxes like the ones I got.
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=mikrettig&project=803&category=6821&log=128282&row=12
They help immensely with inventorying and organizing rivets, hardware and other small parts of each kit.

"...I will be spraying the inside of the structure with primer and installing all parts wet..."

Good luck with that!:eek:

Check it out..

Hey somebody local. Hooray. How construction coming?

Mike,

See my web log in my signature below. Your signature suggests you're currently flying out of KAPA. What are you flying? Rentals? If so, who are you renting from and what are you flying?

Mike

Its every easy and quick to do and i guess it just because it what i have always done on other AC.. It mostly removes any possible place for and water to sit and eat at the aluminum.

Its every easy and quick to do and i guess it just because it what i have always done on other AC.. It mostly removes any possible place for and water to sit and eat at the aluminum.

Figured as much, but thought I'd ask anyway as it's an unusual pratice for this crowd, outside of fuel tank construction. Even the question whether to prime or not can have all the emotions of the most strident conservative vs liberal political discussion--they didn't call'em primer wars for nothing! ;)

Mike,

See my web log in my signature below. Your signature suggests you're currently flying out of KAPA. What are you flying? Rentals? If so, who are you renting from and what are you flying?

Mike

I'm flying the rentals @ Aspen. I've been flying mostly the Gobosh lately. Did take the skycatcher out around the patch since it still has new plane smell.

I'm short (5'6") and had no issues installing autopilot servos, shelf for remote compass modules/air data computer, static system (Vans) all after the fact. If you buy an autopilot now it may be obsolete by the time you're ready to fly.

As mentioned electric trim for pitch is standard, there is no manual backup.
Search this site for various do it yourself rudder trim. I personally don't have rudder trim; I put on a fixed trim wedge adjusted for cruise, and it works over a wide range of speeds and altitudes.

I might suggest NOT buying pro seal yet, depending on how fast you work. It does have a finite shelf life. Some store it in a freezer to try to lengthen its shelf life.

Me KAPA too!

I'm flying the rentals @ Aspen. I've been flying mostly the Gobosh lately. Did take the skycatcher out around the patch since it still has new plane smell.

Mike,

I just decided to do some flying with Aspen Flying Club too. KAPA is close to my office, so it made sense. In fact, I just recharged my medical today and have plans to make a short flight tomorrow before attending a dinner with fellow RV'rs at The Perfect Landing.

Mike

Mike,

I just decided to do some flying with Aspen Flying Club too. KAPA is close to my office, so it made sense. In fact, I just recharged my medical today and have plans to make a short flight tomorrow before attending a dinner with fellow RV'rs at The Perfect Landing.

Mike

Hope you had a good flight yesterday during the calm before the storm. I ended up scrubbing this morning. It was well on its way to being nasty out:

KAPA 101541Z 35016KT 10SM FEW015 BKN050 BKN090 07/M01 A2949 RMK AO2 WSHFT 1521 SHSN OMTNS DSNT SW-NW
KAPA 101529Z COR 34017G20KT 10SM SCT050 BKN075 BKN090 08/M01 A2949 RMK AO2 WSHFT 1515 SHSN OMTNS DSNT SW-NW
KAPA 101453Z 21019G31KT 10SM SCT070 BKN150 11/M01 A2946 RMK AO2 PK WND 22031/1446 SLP939 SHSN OMTNS DSNT W-NW T01061011 55007

Back