What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ordering my wings

miyu1975

Well Known Member
I am ordering my -7 wings shortly and was wondering what else I should be thinking about ordering along with it. ie..auto pilot, (I intend to have one), extended fuel tanks..and the like.. Thx for the advice as usual.

Wings

Suggest the following for an SB wing kit:

Proseal (shelf-life limited; can wait until just before you start the tanks)

conduit (Van's) for electrical wiring.

Pitot mount (SafeAir or Gretz) unless you're going with Van's bent tube pitot design.

Pitot/AOA tubing kit (I like the SafeAir kits).

Autopilot mounts (or full servo kit if you can't buy the mounts-depends on brand) Note that you don't need to buy the control unit-it can wait until you do your panel.

Strobes/position lights can wait or can be purchased now...depends on how quickly you think you'll finish the plane.

I'd also order any long items you think you'll want for the fuselage, such as aluminum angle for ELT/strobe mounts, AHRS/remote compass brackets, etc. since Van's can pack them in the spar crate-saves shipping.

Mike

The nice thing about building an RV is that you can get these things along the way. I put in a pitot tube from Evans Aviation Products (excellent product and value!), the plumbing and sensors for an AOA instrument, Duckworks landing lights, and the brackets for an autopilot servo (I'll buy the actual servo later). These things were much easier to install while building the wings. You can see my log and lots of photos on my website. I just finished my SB wings last September.

Here's a link for the Evans Aviation Pitot tube:

http://www.evansaviationproducts.com/Other%20Products.htm

pro seal

you will need all of the suggested items to finish the wings but they do not come into play until very late in closing them up... you will need proseal pretty early and you will likely need more than a single quart...

if you believe that you will carry strong momentum in constructing the wings you may get to the tanks within a couple of months. if everything goes perfectly you can get by with a single quart but it is more likely that you will want for more. in the end i ordered a second quart and used about a quarter of it to finish but will continue to use it long after the 'expiration' date for non fuel applications. if you throw in two quarts with the shipment there is really no shipping charge.

you would benefit from preplanning for your wing stand setup... i constructed two separate stands on wheels anticipating that i would convert one into a wing cradle to hold both wings as completed. i found great benefit from constructing both wings simultaneously... YMMV.

also you will need a circle cutter and plumbing tools along with this and that that to make up various non vans orders.

What size(s) angle

should I order with wing kit just to have in the shop for fabricating brackets, mounts, etc.?

I have "completed" my wings. I left the bottom skins un-riveted because 2-3 years from now when the fuse is complete, the engine is installed and I'm buying the panel (and auto pilot) -- There will be some new servo, gyro, toy etc. that I need to install in the wing.

Everyting is ready to rivet, just waiting on what technology will do while I finish the rest of the plane.

Angle

Jarvis,
I ordered one 12 ft length of 3/4" x 3/4" x .125" It's plenty strong enough for brackets/anything else you may want to fabricate.

You may have a local source for structural angle; if so you can wait to buy this when you get the fuselage.

I ordered mine with the wing kit to save shipping and Van's put it in the spar crate.

Mike

Back