What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ordering fuselage

dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
Many of you have helped me with this question, but I need to refine the information before I place my order. I understand some have installed a stainless part, maybe the tunnel cover, as opposed to the stock item from Van's. I was told it is safer in the event of a engine fire. Is it the front seat, rear seat, baggage, and fwd fuselage tunnel covers that are replaced with stainless parts? If so, where did you purchase the replacement stainless steel parts? Also I don't like the looks of the rudder pedals and visible hydraulics I have seen on the 10 at Van's. I know some have replaced these with another product. Where did you get a replacement product from? Thank you.

heater valves and rudder pedals

I presume you mean the stainless steel heater valves that go on the engine side of the firewall which replace the stock van's aluminum ones. I don' t think I've seen any replacement tunnel cover parts that go inside the cabin. There are several places to purchase the heater valves. use your favorite search engine of choice and type in "stainless steel heater valve rv-10". Avery, Plane innovations and such.

The rudder pedal kits are controlapproach.com but I don't think he's making them anymore. There is rumor of a newer pedal design that will work w/the stock frames to move the hydraulics behind. Nothing out on the website yet about it though.

So will the 'heater bypss valves' from Plane innovations replace the RV-10 Heat Boxes L & R listed on the 10 fuselage inventory kit?
Also listed on the inventory kit are 2 1/4x12' soft alum tube coil, 1 3/8x12' soft alum tube coil and 1 1/4x15' Hi Pres Brake Hose. Are these the fuel lines and brakes lines some suggest to replace? If so, where can I get those? Thank you. I am getting excited to place the order. I want to beat the Oshkosh rush I anticipate will happen.

Yes and yes. You can get braided teflon replacement hoses from TS Flightlines or Bonaco. Another option, if you want to stay with hard lines is to update the 3003 3/8" tubing in the kit to 5052 tubing which you can get from a supplier like Aircraft Spruce. And of course, you can just use what's in the kit which IMO is perfectly acceptable.

I did a combination of the above. For my fuels lines, I ditched the 3003 in the kit firewall aft, and went with new 5052 hard lines. For my brake lines, I went with flexible (from TS FLight lines) from caliper to the bottom of the fuse. Everything else is stock.

I used 5052 for all hard lines (fuel lines in the fuselage and brake lines in fuselage). I then used flex lines for brakes from the fuselage to calipers and flex lines for the brakes for all the rudder pedal lines (from reservoir, between pedals, and from pedals to parking brake option/hardline point on the firewall. I would definitely recommend the 5052 as the brake lines are very high pressure and its easy to snap the thinner 3030 lines when attempting to secure the brake lines tight enough.

Tom at TSFlightlines does a great job.

For my installation I ditched all the tubing lines and went with all braided stainless. Both Bonaco and TS Flightlines have brake and fuel line kits. I used both of these companies and very happy with the lines.

Thank you again. I already contacted Tom at TS Flitelines and he mentions some of you as his customers. I have learned so much in this short time of working on my empennage. I am so eager for the knowledge and ideas I will pick up at Oshkosh in a few weeks.

Oshkosh = Firehose of information. I was at about the same stage when I first went. I found the most value just from walking all the vendor booths to see what there was to spark my interest in components for the project. I also walked the flightlight and static displays and took photos of designs, paint, interiors, etc that caught my eye. These all served as design cues as I got to future stages - even stuff I never thought of.

By the way, don't get too hung up on ordering everything together. It's nice to have some things ahead of time (I like to have the wiring harnesses before I close up an area) but if you look at the build sequence you will have plenty of time before you need the hoses and such. Even firewall items; I still have to put the remote oil filter and the firewall CPCs in. Plus, I've had the flush door latches and pin mods sitting on my shelves for a couple of years. So long, in fact, that I lost the pins and guides (forgot about them, really :eek:) and just ordered a new set that I didn't need. While the lead time for the main kits can be long, I find that most accessories arrive in a week or so at the most, so there's no rush. And when you get to fitting third-party stuff, especially in the firewall forward area, you will be placing a lot of orders for small hardware that you didn't know you needed. It's not hard working around things while you wait for parts to come.

For my installation I ditched all the tubing lines and went with all braided stainless. Both Bonaco and TS Flightlines have brake and fuel line kits. I used both of these companies and very happy with the lines.

Apart from cost, is there any disadvantage from using the flexible braided fuel and brake lines?

Apart from cost, is there any disadvantage from using the flexible braided fuel and brake lines?

Only a minor one for the brake lines. You can't see air bubbles in the lines. The work around is to just bleed the brakes a little more until you are sure all the air is out.

I don't see any disadvantage for the fuel lines. Actually, I see nothing but positives.

differences?

I found that TS Flightline and Bonaco both have kits available for the RV-10 Brake hoses. But TS Flightline appears to be significantly more expensive. What exactly is the difference between them? Anyone know?

Back