What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ordering Fuselage Kit

grjtucson

Well Known Member
I'm ordering my fuselage kit tomorrow for my RV-7 as I think I'm about 8 weeks away from complete wings. Best laid plans and all of that...

When I started this adventure I told myself I'd not make any decision until I had to, so point of no return on a few things:
  • Tip-up it is, even wind and hot weather in Tucson can't keep me from the view I think. Cool as the carbon fiber looks that has recently been seen around here, I think I'm six months early on that product. I'm going with the fishbowl.
  • Gonna go dual brakes unless anyone screams real loud. More options down the road, only $170, can't help but think it's a deal, but am open to suggestion.
  • Van's static kit - keeping it simple, it works and the price is right.
  • Electric aileron trim to match elevator, never had either, the "hat" on the stick seems super slick and easy and less cluttered than the manual options.

All right, those are the order form options, what else should I be thinking of? Are there any other add-ons or deletions I should consider at this point based on:
  • Engine is likely to be IO-360 parallel valve horiz intake cold sump fuel injected emag/pmag, but could end up as a 390, an Egg, or a Chevy V6 (remember, options open). I am putting return lines into each fuel tank for the Egg or ECI FI so that is covered.
  • Not planning on anything fancy for throttle quadrant, knobs are fine for me.
  • It's going to be IFR capable.
  • Desert boy needs lots of ventilation - should I be thinking about anything different re:vents (that may even be finish kit, I don't know)?

I appreciate any advice, opinions, derision for bad choices, etc. Thanks!

George

Going with aileron trim is great fun, but consider first how much you use your trims.

During any one flight, you'll be using your elevator trim a LOT. You're a pilot so you already know that. But that's why electric elevator trim makes a lot of sense to lessen the workload.

But the only thing you use aileron trim for is for compensating for fuel burn which isn't anywhere near as often as you would use elevator trim.

If you think on it really hard, you might reconsider and go with the simplicity of the manual aileron trim.

My .02.

My fuse order looked pretty much the same. People talked me into the Elect. Ail Trim BECAUSE of fuel burn. Oh well, I got it anyways...

I am just getting ready to cradle my wings now.

Have fun bangin' them rivets!!!

:D CJ

aileron trim suggestion

I didn't get the dual brakes, but did get the electric aileron trim for the same reason you did (on the stick). I actually like Van's static kit - very clean looking.

NOTE: If you get the electric aileron trim, make a note to install the servo before riveting in your seat pan.

I like the simple manual aileron trim. Works really nice. I think the manual pitch trim is the best way to go, too. It takes just a second to trim after takeoff, landings is just as fast, and you really don't need an indicator.

JMHO.

Roberta

Ordered fuselage today

I'm at the same place as you. i just ordered my fuselage today.

RV-7, single brakes, manual trim, static kit and a slider.

Does this mean I can change my signature to "Fuselage"? ;)

Thanks!

Thanks all for the responses, I ended up going with the manual aileron trim for simplicity's sake. I would've gone with manual pitch early on, but I'm not a fan of the knob user-interface. For that matter, I'm not a huge fan of the manual aileron user-interface, but also know how little it'll be used.

I am spoiled by the trim in my Decathalon - best system I've flown.

In other news, my first Proseal session was this morning, not something I want to do everyday, but not as bad as it has been made out either :)

Sid, I don't think we can say "fuselage" until the wings are cradled and we're bending longerons and fluting bulkheads, but you should probably ask the judges for an official ruling :)

George

Back