What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ordering Fuse

jabodine

This has probably been asked and answered but maybe there are some new thoughts.

I'm getting ready to order the fuse kit (standard build, 7-a). Do contributors here have ideas as to what extras to order with it to make the build process more efficient? Are there items that either you ordered with your fuse kit which you found helpful or things you wished that you had ordered with it which would have augmented your build process?

Mining the territory for good ideas. Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,
Jonathan Bodine

Also order the engine mount and anything else you intend to mount to the firewall, especially the battery (at least the box) and contactors. It's easy to locate, clamp, and accurately drill holes, particularly for the engine mount, when you're building the firewall, which is one of the first fuse tasks. It's a PITA after the firewall is riveted in.

John Siebold

Get the gascolator backing plate (forgot item #) it's in the firewall forward kit I believe. Easier to rivet when fuse is open.

If it is a tipup, then add a F-697 hat section. Otherwise you can't completely fit and match drill the top forward skin.
Another optional thing I did was to cut two more of the seat ribs for access to the control stick assembly. I fab'ed the extras from scrap, or you could order some instead. Always a good idea to get some additional screws, nuts, washers. If you are going to go with Fuel Injection, then order the F/I install kit, and don't put the doubler for the pump on the firewall.

If it is a tipup, then add a F-697 hat section. Otherwise you can't completely fit and match drill the top forward skin.
Another optional thing I did was to cut two more of the seat ribs for access to the control stick assembly. I fab'ed the extras from scrap, or you could order some instead. Always a good idea to get some additional screws, nuts, washers. If you are going to go with Fuel Injection, then order the F/I install kit, and don't put the doubler for the pump on the firewall.

f/i install kit sounds like it would be part of the finishing kit, are you saying it should come with the fuse?

You can't really finish up the center tunnel cover until you have these FI parts. I'm struggling through this part right now. Seems like everything depends on something! Need to get the fuel lines in, then work on getting the brake lines from the firewall back to the main gear and around the fuel lines. The firewall recess can go in. Once that stuff is done, then the rudder pedal assembly can go in for good. Then finally, you can start getting the instrument panel in place.

Thanks for your help. It gave me things to think about; as a result I'll likely be adding things to the order.

Best regards,
Jonathan Bodine

Back