What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Order

daviid

Well Known Member
so ive been itching to get my private pilots license for a few years now. i also want my own plane.

Now i have done a bunch of research and i am pretty much settled on a RV10. I based this off of the following factors,
  1. Its going to take a few years to build
  2. Its much roomier then some of the other options i looked at
  3. by the time i complete this, i figure my living situation may be more then 2 people

Now being that im planning on taking several years to complete this, and i dont have my pilots license yet. im trying to determine which route to go. Either A) Get pilots license then build or B) start building and work on the license as i go.

I guess what im trying to find out, if there has been other people in my situation and what they decided to do?

I think you'll find that a lot of builders don't have their pilot's licenses yet. I didn't get mine until last May. Personally though, I'd start on your license first and if all goes well you can celebrate your first solo by faxing in your tailcone order ;)

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Hey David, welcome to the force:D

The 10 is a wonderful aircraft, easy to fly and stable.

My wife is going to finish out her private ticket in ours.

I agree with the prior statement about getting started on the license now, plan "B" as you put it.

A good buddy of mine started his ten before he started lessons, and did his first test flight of the plane a day or two after getting his license.

You can do it.

so ive been itching to get my private pilots license for a few years now. i also want my own plane.
Now being that im planning on taking several years to complete this, and i don’t have my pilots license yet. I’m trying to determine which route to go. Either A) Get pilots license then build or B) start building and work on the license as i go.

I guess what I’m trying to find out, if there has been other people in my situation and what they decided to do?

David,

As a fellow RV-10 builder, I certainly understand your desire to build a RV-10.

I also don't want to rain on your parade, but I highly recommend that you talk to an insurance agent before purchasing your kit. This will allow you to proceed with your eyes open. There have been several folks wanting to do the same, but the insurance fees were more than anticipated.

The RV-10 is a little different than the other RVs in this area because of the additional passenger capacity and high performance requirement. Insurance companies treat it differently.

A recent example is Tim Olson (myrv10.com), who has one of the early flying RV-10s. His wife wanted to get her PPL. Tim found it was less expensive to lease a Cherokee for her to get her rating than to use his RV-10.

I had taqlked with another local pilot wanting to get his PPL in his RV-10 and found out the best insurance rates he could get was about $6k/year. Obviously, the insurance rates put a damper on his plans.

My recommendation to achieve your goals is to start working on your rating while you build. You are going to want at least 250 hours before your RV-10 is finished. Although not required, getting an IFR rating will also reduce your insurance premium. This will drop your insurance premiums to about $3k.

I bought a Cherokee 180 for me to get an IFR rating and my son to get his PPL. I flew it for about three years and was able to sell it for the same amount of money I had in it. I was able to fly for three years for the cost of fuel and maintenance costs. Fortunately, I sold the Cherokee just before the economy tanked, so I don't know if you can do the same today. It was a great way to build time and get additional ratings.

I hope this doesn't stop your plans to build a RV-10.

Bob

Last edited:
I concur with starting to fly first or with the build. Avemco would not insure my wife as a student pilot under any circumstance in our Kitfox. They cited experimental and tailwheel as reasons. I suspect the high performance nature of the 10 might be similar. Other companies might insure you though. Besides, flying is fun and may help keep you motivated. You will love it. Even if it is in a spam can.
Maxwell

thanks guys. this is still a ways out. especially today since my a major project at work got pushed back. might have to focus on starting my new business first :\

Two Comments!

1/ Get your pilot certificate first!

2/ Build an airplane because you want to build an airplane.
Not because you want an airplane!

i build all my own stuff that i can as much as i can.

i race motorcycles, i built the motor, custom made subframe parts, literally put it together from the frame up. also did the paint on it.

DSCN1340.jpg

to
DSCN1357.jpg

^-- although this picture is not 100% complete. I never did take one of it completed

for the home, i am working on building my house as well.

i really enjoy working with my hands. it gives me a better sense of pride when i use it.

ive been looking at building a plane for 3 years now. i have flown before when i was in school. but its been years.

Looks like some very nice work on the bike. You sound like the type that really likes to build and I think you will enjoy building an airplane. The main problem I see is that you might change your mind about the kind of airplane you want after you've been flying for a while. However, you could always sell the 10 and build something else. The cost will be high with insurance and PPL and building all at the same time. I would recommend you start the flying part as soon as possible, like drive out to the airport today and get started.
Bill

I started my flying lessons about two months after starting the -10. Got my PL quick, like in 3 months and built up about 200 hours before the -10 was done. Try to get some low wing time in a Grumman Tiger near the end of the build and transition will be a piece of cake.

edit:I also don't think you'll have a problem building.

Last edited:
What Mel said and...

1/ Get your pilot certificate first!

I completely agree with Mel. In fact, I would encourage you to get the PPL and then rent and check out in a variety of airplanes. The '10' is a lovely device, but it might not be what you find you need or want after learning to fly.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Well, perhaps I'll be the lone dissenting voice here, but I'm building my RV first, before getting my PPL. I think some of us have different situations. You have to figure out what works for you in your particular situation, financial status, etc.

I seriously considered whether to get my pilots license first, or wait, or do it along with building at the same time. The same questions you're considering right now. One thing I noticed was that some builders find that their flying skills go stale while building. Either that or the project languishes in the shop while you go flying. I know myself well enough to know that I can only do so many things at once. There's only so much time. And only so much money. And the concentration and mental effort involved in building (or in flying!) isn't a small matter either. How much can I take on at one time? Whatever you decide to do, that's a question that I think needs to be pondered. You may come up with a different answer than I did, and that's fine, just consider these things first. That's all I'm suggesting.

Those of us who are married are familiar with the delicate balance between taking on a project like this, and tending to responsibilities we all have, taking care of a marriage relationship, kids, and everything else in life. My wife and I have had our share of "airplane discussions". If I'm not careful, I'll be hearing from her again that I'm not spending enough time with her. And I'm going to add flying lessons to this mix? For ME, it just won't work.

So I considered that if I got my PPL first, my skills would probably go stale while I spend a couple thousand hours building this thing. If I tried to fly and build at the same time, I would be spread too thin and probably not do either very well. I know several guys who are doing just that and I'm not sure when they'll ever get their projects finished. Not to mention that I don't have money for both. So that's how I came to the decision to build my airplane first, then get the license to fly it. That's just ME, and your situation may be entirely different. But for me, it was delayed gratification now for the bigger reward later on.

I believe that if I was flying all the time now, yes it would be fun. It would be great. I might not feel like I was missing out and I could go with my friends and take my wife and so on. But I also know that I would have this nagging feeling that I could be doing all of this in my own RV if I could just get it finished! I've seen the longing looks on the faces of friends who fly all the time who want an RV but they can't put everything in their life together enough to build one. Or worse, they've started one and have stalled or lost motivation along the way and maybe they'll never get it finished.

I'm honest enough to admit that if I had other means available to me to go flying, I might not be as motivated to get out into the shop all the time. I've spent many a nice day, after all, and I mean perfect warm sunny days that would be perfect for flying, working in my shop on the project. I've had friends take off for the fly-in breakfasts, the cross-country trips, Oshkosh, the wilderness adventures, and all the stuff I dream about while I toil away on my project here in my shop. It's been kind of hard at times, but on the other hand it's very motivating to get finished. Because when I'm done, I'll have a custom-made personal airplane, brand new, that I own and built with my own two hands, with performance that will rock my socks off.

Meanwhile, I'm having the time of my life building this airplane. It is by far the most rewarding thing I have ever done. It started out as a means to an end, then I found out that it's really all about the journey and I'm enjoying it all along the way much more than I ever thought I would. At the same time, the incentive to get it done so I can go fly is HUGE and it keeps me motivated.

Some people think that they will automatically get a PPL just because they take lessons. I know one person who started building and half way through the build started his flight training. Long story short,,,a number of things prevented from him obtaining his PPL. After multiple instructors he finally found ONE who would solo him,,,,,,one time only and that was it.. I would highly recommend you get your flight training out of the way & PPL in hand before you order your kit.

PPC before RV-10 for me

Yes your skills will diminish some, and you will not want to fly as much because you just want to get your own finished. Lets see, I can spend $200-$300 for renting this month or spend it on the plane. Hmmm.
I found out how much pp training was going to cost and saved it up that way no worries about spending the money while you are progressing through. It cost me around $10,000 for 60 hrs flight training/60 hrs ground schooling and I completed it in 6 weeks. I then saved up for the complete kit while finishing ALL house/yard/painting projects. I did not want to be bothered by other non rv-10 projects for the next 2-3 yrs unless it was an emergency(roof leak, toilet broke, etc). Yes the family does not get as much attention, but neither does the computer, books or tv. All of the guys above make good sense. PP training and building are both time and money hogs. You have to do what is best for you and your family. For most of us, it will turn out good any way you go about it- just have a plan, budget and the right attitude, and you can do just about anything. Have fun!

My recommendation? Get your ticket first. Who knows if you'll even like flying. For whatever reason, some folks just don't. I know plenty of people who get their ticket and fly maybe another 20-30 hours and never again.

Back