What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

order of steps for bottom skins, control surfaces

Scott_F

Is in necessary for the bottom skins to be on (permanently) in order to attach/rig the ailerons and attach the flaps? I was thinking of leaving the bottom outboard skins off untill I've finally decided on which type of pitot tube and/or roll servos I'll use. So the order I was thinking of follows:

1. attach/rig aileron
2. cleco inboard bottom skin on
3 position and drill flap hinge to bottom skin/flap brace
4 rivet bottom inboard skin on and leave the outboard skin for later

Also, wrt mounting the flap - what's the best way to hold it in place while aligning it with the aileron? And is it best to countersink the hinge to accept skin/brace dimples, or countersink skin and brace combo and leave the hinge alone?

Is this a QB? I did my ailerons before attaching the final bottom skins but I waited on drilling the flap hinge until after the last skin was on. The only reason I waited is that I was concerned that cleo's skin might be off by a hair.

Don't countersink or dimple the hinge. Dimple the skin and countersink the brace. That way you don't have to do anything but drill holes in the hinge.

Scott,
I'm just a little way ahead of you. I did this last August. You can see all my photos and documentation on my site, beginning Aug. 1st. I didn't rivet the bottom skins on until I completed the plumbing for the pitot tube, the AOA sensors, and the brackets for an autopilot servo. But in the meantime, I was able to finish mounting the ailerons and drilling the flap hinges. It came out very good and I'm happy. Here's a link to get you started:

http://www.europa.com/~swayze/RV-7A/Wings/20080801.html

Thanks Bruce & Rick for the replies. I'm ready to start mounting the controls, but first order of business now is to make room the my QB fuselage and finish kit (which were supposed to go on a Partain trailer yesterday:D).

Bruce - great pics, very helpful. do you have any details on when/if the Evans heated pitot tube might be available?

Bruce - great pics, very helpful. do you have any details on when/if the Evans heated pitot tube might be available?

Thanks, Scott,

I haven't talked to him about it since over a year ago when I ordered my pitot tube, so I don't have an update for you. Give him a call or send him an email, and let us know what you find out. I plan on flying mine without heat and adding it at a later date. Who knows... I may never need it.

Back