What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Order mailed

David Paule

Well Known Member
I mailed in an order for the empennage, standard-build wings and fuselage kits yesterday. Not having an engine yet, I didn't order the finish kit.

The web site indicates eight weeks and I requested that all kits be shipped at the same time.

Thanks to the contributors to the RV-3 section here at VAF for their postings over the years. This helped me to the decision.

Dave

Congratulations. Is this your first build?

I'd be interested in hearing how you are processing when you actually start the build. My hope is to finish my 9A this year and start a new project. The three is a leading candidate and having started studying the plans, it looks like

a) there's a lot more work involved preparing parts than there is with the match drilled kits (which actually has a good side), and

b) the plans are somewhat more, uh, rudimentary than the 9A plans.

Keep up posted.

I talked to the shipper of my RV-3B kit that I ordered, and he said that Van's is getting a lot of orders right now. Many of them are for the quick-build kits.

Dave

Yes, this is my first RV project. I do have other experience with building and working on sheet-metal planes, although not recently.

Dave

Congradulations!

With any luck this will be you in a few years.
acs65u.jpg

I painted the plans on the outside so I dont forget how its built.
mtuwoz.jpg

It's a great paint job, for sure. How did you do that anyway? Is it paint or a vinyl?

This and the RV-9 that Stein had, called "Clown Car," are my favorite paint schemes so far.

How is the flight testing going? Anything you can share? You must be thrilled.

Dave

congrats! (and don't think about 'luck'!) ...

"I'd rather be lucky than good" ... does not apply to RV3 building! There are three rules to building a -3:

- build parts to fit other parts
- don't build anything until you have to
- walk away from it when you're tired

go for it!

- Steven
700+ RV3 hours
(two more last Monday!)

Another -3 NZ

I have plans no.11465 and at the Southern end of N.Z.
("Worlds Fastest Indian Town")
It seems that the aileron bell cranks are RV-4 versions. Any-one able to show where I find the dimensions. PDF download somewhere?
I have all the profiles in 7 ply routed out. and bought sufficient 2024 and 4130 to make small items before doing major parts.
Probable engine is a first life 0-235.
The recent test flight information on the forum and the very well written words from Paul and Louise - and his articles in Kit Planes spurred me along.
I run a cnc mill at my farm workshop and will mill as many of these items as I can,
Parts cad drawn and available on disc in a DXF format would speed up manufacture of small parts that are not quick build items.
Further question: Rv-3b main spar material is not listed. A Source? or are they -4 as well.
Neil Robertson Invercargill N.Z.

RV-3 Spars

I suspect that they were engineered for the RV-3. Certainly Van's would have them available. The manual in the preview plans (which is all I have thus far) says that the spars and F-303 bulkhead parts are aligned in a jig and drilled together at the factory.

Perhaps Vans could sell you the plans or the completed spars/bulkhead.

Dave

I suspect that they were engineered for the RV-3. Certainly Van's would have them available. The manual in the preview plans (which is all I have thus far) says that the spars and F-303 bulkhead parts are aligned in a jig and drilled together at the factory.

Perhaps Vans could sell you the plans or the completed spars/bulkhead.

Dave

The spars, splice plates, and center sections are a serial-numbered set, and you need them all! That said, I suspect (through deduction, not actual knowledge) that the spars are now built similar to the other RV models - drilled at the factory in a jig - which means they should be interchangeable. I don't think I want to be the first to find out however....

Paul

Back