What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

options for installing a stall warning

amekler

Well Known Member
Patron
I purchased a already built RV-10, It has no stall warning or AOA. What is the best option to retrofit a stall warning?
Alan

I'd go with the AOA. Either way you're going to have to do a run down the wing. Other than the wiring or plumbing run, the actual install for the AOA can be done from the end of the wing by removing the wingtip. The stall switch would require you to remove the fuel tank. Also, unless it was installed for some reason, you'd end up putting the inspection panel in. That looks difficult from what I see on the instructions and would definitely mess up a paint job. You can get the AOA installation guide from Advanced Flight Systems and the stall warning instructions from Van's or as a .pdf from the www.myRV10.com site (the latter requires you register as a builder/owner but is a great resource for the RV-10 community).

AOA system

Install of the AOA will require the ports at the wing tip, install the indicator, and running tubing into the cabin from the wing ports. Under the panel you will have to mount the control box, run a pitot and a static line to the box with the 2 small tubes from the wing, and run a wire to a flap switch. Sounds more complicated than it really is but I don't see any reason it can't be done on a flying plane. I certainly believe the benefits out weigh those of the basic stall warning kit and the work needed to install it.

Eric Kallio

Back