What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Options for getting VFR GPS track AP

dpcsar

I'm New Here
I am looking for options for a VFR GPS track setup. I would like to have a two-axis autopilot that I can have follow a GPS track. I currently user Garmin Pilot for planning and inflight GPS information.

I have not decided if I want to go IFR. It would be nice if that was an option in the future. As a side question... Is a certified navigator like a Garmin GPS 175 required for IFR? It seems like a lot of the EIFS systems can do all the functionality.

I am looking for options for a VFR GPS track setup. I would like to have a two-axis autopilot that I can have follow a GPS track. I currently user Garmin Pilot for planning and inflight GPS information.

I have not decided if I want to go IFR. It would be nice if that was an option in the future. As a side question... Is a certified navigator like a Garmin GPS 175 required for IFR? It seems like a lot of the EIFS systems can do all the functionality.
So for VFR flying, all the EFISs I'm aware of have a GPS built in and can follow a route input manually or through an app like Garmin Pilot. For IFR flying, you are correct, a certified WAAS GPS navigator such as the 175 are needed and they share the information with the EFIS

What systems do you have right now? As Michael noted if you have an EFIS that can display a GPS route it probably has a RS232 output capability that can interface with a Trio or Bendix xCruze autopilot to give you GPSNav (lateral navigation) functionality. You can add a GPS navigator later like the 175.
Figs

What systems do you have right now? As Michael noted if you have an EFIS that can display a GPS route it probably has a RS232 output capability that can interface with a Trio or Bendix xCruze autopilot to give you GPSNav (lateral navigation) functionality. You can add a GPS navigator later like the 175.
Figs

I currently don't have an EFIS. I am running an AV-30. Plane has a Navaid AP-1 (wing leveler). It used to be connected to a Garmin 696, which I removed because Garmin pilot did everything easier and better.

I am thinking about going to an EFIS as a starting point. Then add as needed/wanted. ;)

It would be great if there was a way to connect Garmin Pilot on a tablet to an AP. Seems like a 600/760 is the only thing that is close to that type of setup.

As a side question... Is a certified navigator like a Garmin GPS 175 required for IFR? It seems like a lot of the EIFS systems can do all the functionality.

YES a certificated navigator and database is required for legal IFR.

I currently don't have an EFIS. I am running an AV-30. Plane has a Navaid AP-1 (wing leveler). It used to be connected to a Garmin 696, which I removed because Garmin pilot did everything easier and better.

I am thinking about going to an EFIS as a starting point. Then add as needed/wanted. ;)

It would be great if there was a way to connect Garmin Pilot on a tablet to an AP. Seems like a 600/760 is the only thing that is close to that type of setup.
The AV-30 will drive the xCruze or the Trio autopilots in heading mode and has altitude select and vertical speed select capability, you would need to add the magnetometer as the DG drift without it is not really useful. You can also add a portable like the 760 for the GPSNav functionality and you can also add the AV-HSI module to get HSI/CDI functionality with a GPS navigator if you add one later.

I have a Aera 760 connected to a TruTrak (xCruze) via RS232 and it works well for GPSNav capability, it has a similar look and feel to Garmin Pilot and can probably bluetooth to Garmin pilot for flight plan transfer etc. If you were to add the 175 later the 760 works well as a larger screen showing geo referenced approach plates etc.
Here are a couple of pictures of my somewhat Frankenstein panel showing the AV-30 and the Aera 760 tied into my legacy Dynon EFIS and the GNX375 GPS navigator. All added bit by bit.
Figs
IMG_4947.JPGIMG_4948.JPG

Back