What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Opposed Piston Cylinder Engine

James Atkinson would be proud...he designed and patented an engine with opposing pistons in the 1880's. Although his differential engine was a 4 stroke, it just shows that there is not much that has not been tried...we just get better at it as time goes on :)

definitely not much new out there...

I've been reading a book first published in 1933 that describes a production common-rail diesel fuel injection system with electromagnetically actuated injectors!

Confused

It is my understanding that a piston's stroke is somewhat tied to its diameter. Compression either too high or too low becomes the limiting factor. If you have two pistons won't each have to travel 1/2 of that distance? If the throw of the crank is one half doesn't that then reduce the available torque? I don't see the advantage to this engine. What am I missing?:eek:

Torque does not seem to be a factor in designing this engine. They appear to be going for high HP per weight and economy. 2 strokes give a power every stroke and typicaly have less losses by having less moving parts. I'm going to guess this will be a pretty high RPM motor since the usual limiting factors (piston speed) have been changed.

Back