What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Operating Out Of A Grass Field

todehnal

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried the 380 x 150 x 5 tires on the 12? They have a slightly larger foot print than the standard 500 x 5. I know that some of the other RV were using them. Also not sure if they will fit in our nose wheel fork. They are about a pound heavier though. I hate to buy them, only to find out that they won't fit. Also, I have wheel pants.

Tom

Unless you are talking about using a grass strip in really bad shape or flying when it is total mud, I don't see why you would need to bother.
Keep in mind that the gross weight (and for local flights most people probably aren't even flying at that high of a weight) of the RV-12 is not much more than the empty weight of a lot of RV's using the same size tire.
With the low pressure that is used (28 PSI) there is a lot of ground foot print on the RV-12.

Thanks Scott,

I do maintain the recommended 28 psi in the tires, and I did make note of the larger foot print that is associated with this lower pressure. I just happened to be viewing some other RV posts on this site, and read comments on the use of these 380 X 150 X 5 tires, touting improved handling, particularly when operating off of sod. I'm sure that you are right, given our light weight, it is probably not worth the extra weight, and clearance issues that are associated with making this change. As always, your insight and comments are greatly appreciated.

Tom

Back