What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Operating costs

tracy

Well Known Member
Friend
Had my plane 11 years this month and was asked what it cost to operate my RV8. Well, I set down and calculated it to this point Based on 6 hrs a month. All in hour figures.
parts=9.52; insurance=15.27; prop=9.47; fuel=50; oil =1.3. Total cost per hour = $85.56.

i do not pay for a hangar or maintenance, so they would have to be added. I don’t think engine reserve is significant unless you include the sale of aircraft. So,
engine reserve at 40k/11/12/6 = $50/hr, but the sell would be $140,000( new engine), - 86,000(including tax)/11/12/6 = a minus 68/hr which leaves a delta of -$18. This would bring my total cost, if I sold today, at around $68/hr. This aircraft is a 2004 IFR 8 with 1004 hrs.

ps. It is not for sale!

Last edited:
Guessing my numbers would be in the ballpark as Tracy's above. I do have to rent a hanger. I averaged my hanger rent over 11 years and it comes to 33K. Divided by Tracy's number of hours, using my hanger rent average, it adds 41.66 to the per hour cost which puts it at 127.22 per hour. Still WAY LESS than what it would cost to rent a plane of comparable performance.

Guessing my numbers would be in the ballpark as Tracy's above. I do have to rent a hanger. I averaged my hanger rent over 11 years and it comes to 33K. Divided by Tracy's number of hours, using my hanger rent average, it adds 41.66 to the per hour cost which puts it at 127.22 per hour. Still WAY LESS than what it would cost to rent a plane of comparable performance.

As I'm only about 1/2 done, I am trying not to think about hangar space yet, but I was kind of suspecting it will be a significant percentage of this hobby's cost. Thanks for breaking down the numbers!

Until you go down and price the cirrus 22 for rent at $450/hr

Oh, have they gone down in price?? :LOL:

In my neck of the woods, an SR22 is $500/hr... and that's a DRY rate. You get to pay for your own fuel on top of it.

To be fair, that's for a 6th generation aircraft with all the bells and whistles -- in other words, a VERY nice aircraft. But still...

--Ron

Until you go down and price the cirrus 22 for rent at $450/hr
Wow, didn't realize how much to rent a Cirrus. Last plane I rented was in 1994. It was a Grumman Tiger. $65 per hour wet. Renting used to always be cheaper than ownership but that may not be the case. Just for kicks I looked up how much to charter a Cirrus. $2500 per hr. I probably could tell you what it cost to operate my RV-10 but most of us just don't want to know. I do know it's way less than $450 per hr. Anyways, since prices have gone up so much on airplanes, If I sold it today, I would have flown it for free.

Back