What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Open ended Torque wrench or getting tricky?

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
How do most of you torque AN fittings?

Every torque wrench I find is for a socket, but to tighten an AN fitting with a hose, that won't work.

I remember someone having some type of "trick", like finger tight, and then turn some amount more, but how much? Is that safe to do, and is that the same for all AN fittings?

Snap On makes a torque wrench with interchangeable heads------including open ended ones.

Great for doing nuts on a constant speed prop.

https://store.snapon.com/INTERCHANGEABLE-HEAD-CLICK-TYPE-TORQUE-WRENCHES-C629538.aspx

QC1I200.jpg

QXSD24A.jpg

QYO32.jpg

Last edited:

I use this method exclusively. You will find it very difficult to get a torque wrench on many of the fittings. Also, I have seen more damage caused by misuse and misunderstanding of torque wrenches than if you just guessed at it. The alternate method also leaves me some nice marks on the fittings along with a dab of torque seal, I know it was torqued. (that doesn't mean don't check at next CI).
Put a wrench on everything!

Combination spanner (open one end, ring on the other) and electronic spring balance to measure the pull required to get the torque value specified for the fitting.

From Vans and my favorite because I can remember it :)

Alternate Tightening Method Two:

The second alternate method of tightening is very simple and
easy to remember. Bring the nut to hand tight and then rotate a
quarter of a turn. This applies to all sizes. Mark the fitting as
indicated in the flat method to confirm the quarter turn.

From Vans and my favorite because I can remember it :)
Alternate Tightening Method Two:
The second alternate method of tightening is very simple and
easy to remember. Bring the nut to hand tight and then rotate a
quarter of a turn. This applies to all sizes. Mark the fitting as
indicated in the flat method to confirm the quarter turn.
Yup - Not sure how to calculate this one from Crabandy, or if one even needs to ;) (not picking on you, very creative)
33c3vbt.jpg

Back