What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

open canopy

rphfly

I'm New Here
You folks will think this a dumb question, and that's OK. (Getting ready to order a 9 kit)

Concerning the sliding canopy, why can't the airplane be flown with it partially open if there's a mechanical way to rig it?

Also, in an emergency situation where an off-field landing is necessary, is it acceptable to open it and jam it with something to keep it open?

Thanks Ron

Welcome to the Club Ron!

I am taking certain risk here posting this bold statement and a picture. RV-9A can fly with open canopy without jeopardizing safety. Certain procedures need to be met. On the picture below the aircraft participated in a competition about a year ago. Didn't win first prise but was very close.

Picture removed on request

Order your kit, by the time you are ready to make your slider operational I will connect you to the owner of this Russian RV and he will share the secrets (if there are any:))

Last edited:
Vlad, I'm sure Im not the only one who'd like to see what the setup was for flying with canopy open. . .is there a link possibly.

I don't think I'd ever trust flying with a slider canopy open except in an emergency. Forget mechanism to keep it open; what would the airflow be doing to the attachment, as well as disturbing the flow around the empennage. Sounds like a good way to crack a canopy. If you want open canopy, a special replacement setup, like the one currently in use (was that a -4?), would be the way to go.

Open Canopy

http://www.vansairforce.com/communi...592&highlight=improved+ventilation#post250592

Here's a link to my adventures of last year. Only changes I've made are, moving one spring stop fwd. to act as a stop to keep the canopy from closing. So, now I have the stop on the right to keep the canopy from moving aft, and the one on the left, I engage after I open the canopy and it's positioned against the right/aft stop. This way, the canopy cannot move aft or fwd. It's kind of a pain inflight because it's a two handed operation. Left hand on the canopy handle, and right on the spring latch. The airplane is thus totally out of control for about 1 second.:rolleyes: Most of the time I leave it open for takeoff on hot days with the fwd. stop disengaged. When the canopy starts to roll fwd. on climbout, I take my left hand off the throttle, grab the canopy handle, and firmly close the canopy and latch it. I've probably flown with the canopy open about 50 times in the last year, 120 knots max. speed.

My next mod. might be an RV12!

It looks like too much fun to build and fly, to not do one!

Back