What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oops!! Outer leading edge tip rib misplacement

jdmunzell

Well Known Member
Well here I am ready now to final rivet the outer leading assembly to the right wing spar, in preparation for receiving and final fitting of right fuel tank, when I notice that when riveting the tip ribs to the leading edge skin, I reversed the flange direction on two of the ribs. The most noticeable one being the very outer rib at the end of the wing. It does still appear to be just as structurally sound to me, and all the seams still mate up quite nicely. Once the fiberglass wingtip is attached, one would never see this goof. The landing light assembly install went fine as the adjustment was made for the shorter space between the two ribs. One option is to drill out the two ribs completely and put them in their respective places. There is always the risk of enlarging the holes when drilling out rivets. The other option is to press on, knowing that i would have a unique assembly here.

Anybody else done this goof?

Well here I am ready now to final rivet the outer leading assembly to the right wing spar, in preparation for receiving and final fitting of right fuel tank, when I notice that when riveting the tip ribs to the leading edge skin, I reversed the flange direction on two of the ribs. The most noticeable one being the very outer rib at the end of the wing. It does still appear to be just as structurally sound to me, and all the seams still mate up quite nicely. Once the fiberglass wingtip is attached, one would never see this goof. The landing light assembly install went fine as the adjustment was made for the shorter space between the two ribs. One option is to drill out the two ribs completely and put them in their respective places. There is always the risk of enlarging the holes when drilling out rivets. The other option is to press on, knowing that i would have a unique assembly here.

Anybody else done this goof?

I've not done that goof, but according to a Van's representative, the flange direction is chosen for ease of assembly, not for structural reasons.

Back