What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oops on 704H

Chappyd

Well Known Member
In my dimpling/countersinking frenzy I inadvertently countersunk the 1/8" holes around the spar carry through on the 704H, the .060 plate that jons to the 704 center section sides. When referring to the plans on the rivet call outs while dimpling the f-770 skins, I found that those holes are supposed to have 470-4's, not the 426-4's. I was thinking of dimpling the skin, c'sinking the F704H ( .060 thk ) and riveting with flush rivets. I know I read somewhere that all the skin rivets were flush, but didn't consult the plans prior to making that decision to c'sink.

Is there a strength difference between flush and round head rivets? I'll probably call Vans Friday, but I'm thinking it would be ok.

Yah everything but the rivets hidden by the wing are flush. I think you'd be fine doing flush rivets there, usually folks do the regular rivets because they are being lazy not because there's a whole ton of difference in strength.

Back