What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One really hot cylinder

n505at

While on taxi back to hangar on Tuesday I noticed No 1 CHT way off scale at over 600 deg. All other cylinder were nominal, EGT was nominal. On taxi to take off yesterday, I noticed same thing. Run up temp was nominal. Went flying anyway and flying temp was nominal. But it went off scale again on taxi back to hangar. I have not yet taken off the cowl to look for any problems. I think it may be a sensor problem. I've emailed Advanced Flight but not response yet. Any ideas?

RV7A, 30 hours on new Lyc O-360, Lasar ignition, ACS 2002 engine monitor.

Thanks for the help

Roy Samuelson
Oakland CA

Roy,

You are the second person who has asked about 600*F on one cylinder with an AFS.

Did it peak and come right back down or did it go up and stay up?

The guy I was talking to had it peak and a second later it was back in line with the others. This behavior probably indicates a sensor issue rather than a true high CHT.

When you get back, try swapping CHT probes and see what happens.

It is unlikely you have a 600* CHT taxiing in because you had been at idle for landing and taxiing doesn't take much power.

Just my $.02

Sounds like a sensor problem. I had the same thing happen to me with my RMI micomonitor. I have a molex disconnect from a selector switch (the monitor only displays one cylinder at a time) to the monitor and one set of pins was making intermittant contact. Acted just as you describe.

Update

Rob at Advanced Flight emailed that it sounded like a sensor or wiring problem. I switched the sensors on the #1 and #3 cylinders. I taxied about 3/4 mile to get gas with no problems. So who knows what the original problem was. I did note that the sensor in #1 was a little loose when I took it out.

Roy Samuelson

Back