What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One really expensive rivet ...

datsclark

..the first one!

After several years of reading VAF about all the building stories, I've finally got started. I use the word started a little loosely, I've only just set my first few rivets on the Vans practice kit. About a month ago, I ordered an Avery tool kit, build some benches (EAA standard issue work benches, a little taller since I'm 6'6) and picked up an air compressor. I mostly wanted to get some practice before ordered the rv-7 empanage kit--I know I have a lot to learn. I suspect I'm going to find out just how deep the rabbit hole goes soon.

Thanks to Kevin down at KSQL for a ride in his 7A, really was my coup de grace. :)

Don't ya just love those $60,000 free rides! Just keep in mind that ride isn't half as fun as any ride in YOUR own RV.

Keep banging them rivets.

I am in the same boat. I am working on a Van's practice kit, and getting my shop set up. Hope to order the RV-10 kit this month.

..the first one!

After several years of reading VAF about all the building stories, I've finally got started. I use the word started a little loosely, I've only just set my first few rivets on the Vans practice kit. About a month ago, I ordered an Avery tool kit, build some benches (EAA standard issue work benches, a little taller since I'm 6'6) and picked up an air compressor. I mostly wanted to get some practice before ordered the rv-7 empanage kit--I know I have a lot to learn. I suspect I'm going to find out just how deep the rabbit hole goes soon.

Thanks to Kevin down at KSQL for a ride in his 7A, really was my coup de grace. :)

Sounds great! Glad you dug it. I bet you'll really enjoy building the emp.

Schaweet! Empennage kit arrived today! I just popped open the box, realized that I didn't have time to go further, but I'm very excited to go out and inventory the boxes. Sure does look really well packed though.

I also air-tool-riveted my first rivets last night. Only thing i really learned was ... I have a _lot_ to learn about this! Mostly I'm just figuring out the basics like how best to hold the squeeze. I am really happy with my Husky Pro 60 gallon compressor, but not very happy with how long Home Depot and I spent together just to pick it up :-/ After nearly two months of my air compressor saga, at least I finally have air. All's well that ends well anyway!

I am setting up the obligatory website with pictures for all those who want to see yet another RV-7 take shape. Stay tuned

Congrats on getting started. Be careful when you cut the duck tape from the skins. When I cut the tape on mine, the skins popped out and almost hit me in the nose. :eek:

Back