What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One part polyurethane?

AAflyer

Well Known Member
I just watched a video from Jamestown Distributors which showcased their TotalBoat Wet Edge Topside paint.
My -8 will be mostly bare aluminum?at least for a while, but I'm looking for a no-fuss (i.e one-part, no paint booth required) paint technique for my fiberglass tips, skirt and cowling.
Does anyone have any experience with this type of paint?

Yes. I used it for a fibreglass repair. I found a stock colour which was an exact match to my Jetglo white. Works well.

Application technique?

Vern,
The Jamestown video, obviously made for boat-owners, showed a "rolled and tipped" application. A couple of coats with wet-sanding in between.
How did you prep and apply on your project?
Thanks for any tips and advice you can provide.

Last edited:
On the fglas I primed it and sprayed the poly.

I had some natural breaks from stripes so no blending required.

I used Petit one-part polyurethane from Jamestown Distributors on the inside surfaces of my RV-4 cowl and on the hull of my kit-built kayak.

It has lasted very well on the cowl. I had to sand some off when I switched from hinge strips to cam locs and found it very tough to remove.

The kayak is only a couple of years old, but the rolling and tipping technique produced a very good finish. It will never be as good as a good spray finish, but it is certainly fine for a boat...

Good luck,

The inside of the cowl sounds like a great place to test it out.
Thanks for your input.

Back